Looking for good OD Journal Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeballerOD

Aspiring O.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow and ODs and ODettes! :)

I am a recent graduate of SCO. I decided against a residency and so I've been working mostly in a vision care setting with few medical complaints. I also spend 1 day a week in an MD clinic seeing mostly medical and post-ops (which can be challenging at times due to the infrequency in which I usually see pathology).

I am wondering where I can find some good, peer-reviewed journals, articles and case studies; something like the Journal of AOA (which I can't seem to find any newer editions of, did it discontinue??). Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

Optometrically,

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent graduate of SCO. I decided against a residency and so I've been working mostly in a vision care setting with few medical complaints. I also spend 1 day a week in an MD clinic seeing mostly medical and post-ops (which can be challenging at times due to the infrequency in which I usually see pathology).

I am wondering where I can find some good, peer-reviewed journals, articles and case studies; something like the Journal of AOA (which I can't seem to find any newer editions of, did it discontinue??). Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

Optometrically,

Chris

If you're trying to bone up on forgotten knowledge, your old notes and textbooks will do just fine.

If you're trying to get a handle on new research, I find the best one is Survey of Ophthalomology. It tends to summarize in fairly simple langage the big studies.

Thank you for the reply. I still have my textbooks and brush up often; I guess I am looking for more case studies. Ideally, it would be similar to the Journal of the AOA, which apparently has discontinued.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sadly, the Journal of the AOA was discontinued because the publisher, the American Optometric Association, ran out of money.

The AOA lost funding and support of the majority of OD's when they started pushing for "board certification." They used the Affordable Healthcare Act as an excuse to force a board certification agenda upon the rest of us in their ongoing but futile attempt to become equal to MD's.

They claimed Obamacare required board certification. That's a lie. Allied professionals are not required to be board certified. Basically, OD's got tired of a few aggressive OD's forcing some new certification upon them every five years.

Hence, the birth of the AOS, the American Optometric Society. Then, the AOS sued the AOA. Unfortunately the AOS lost and needs to pay the AOA legal fees. But really the AOS won because the board certification agenda is dead and the AOA hasn't regained it's membership, and therefore, it's power.

Board certification would cost the average OD about ... oh ... 5,000 for the travel and CE expenses and maybe another 2 to 5K of lost time with patients. And why? To satisfy the arrogance of a few OD's running the AOA. The last required certification that I got, for Orals and Injections, did not appreciably benefit my practice. Granted, I can rx doxycycline for ocular rosacea now. Big deal! A PA can do that, too. Really, the main consequence is the certification increasing my malpractice insurance by 40%. Thanks AOA!

Anyway, because so many members of the AOA withdrew their membership and their dues, the AOA now no longer has funding for the Journal of the AOA. That is sad. It was THE defining journal for our profession. It was excellent.

I read Review of Optometry. There's also a Review of Ophthalmology, both by Jobson Publishing. There's online versions available. Pacific University has online CE courses, as do most of the other optometry courses. You don't have to pay for the course to access the materials in most cases. You might also check with the OEP: Optometric Extension Program. They have some really good stuff.

Last edited:

Optometrically,

Chris

New England Journal of Medicine
Acta Ophthalmologica
Neuroscience
American Journal of Ophthalmology
Archives of Ophthalmology
Ophthalmology (by the A.A.O.)