Looking for honest advice on my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaac41348

Reaction score
Hello! I was hoping to get some honest advice on my application for a decent IM program (thinking of subspecializing down the road). I go to USMD affiliated with a good medical center. I just had a conversation with an advisor regarding my application and they told me that my ERAS will be basically empty by the time I apply because I have not being doing anything besides classes for the past 3 years. I've been so focused on just surviving medical school that I haven't had a ton of time to do things outside of academics.
So far I have 3 publications from before medical school including multiple poster/oral presentations. I have one leadership position that I started recently and should be able to get volunteering out of this also. I've been working on basic science project for the past year, it is close to being done and I anticipate at least 1 or 2 papers out of it. I should also be getting a case report soon. Otherwise, my leadership and volunteering experiences have been from before medical school.
I wanted to ask how alarmed should I be at this point and what sort of activities/experiences should I be working on to put together a decently competitive IM application by next September.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be alarmed. You can get a solid academic IM program without doing other stuff, especially since you banked pubs from before med school. But if you are so inclined to try and buff up your app, research is really all that counts for anything.

Reactions: 1 user