Looking for info to help with the big decision!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteelerGal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum today and have found it very helpful so far!

Now that I have been through interviews and accepted into 2 programs(thank goodness!) I am in the midst of the decision-making process. I have been accepted at Pitt and University of Delaware which I feel are both excellent schools so this makes the decision even more difficult. I also interviewed at Chatham at the end of January but won't be hearing a decision from them for another few weeks.

My stumbling block is that I just don't have much information (except on paper) about the Pitt DPT program because they did not have an interview day and I only had a brief meeting with one faculty member about the program over a year and a half ago. On the other hand, I attended an interview day at Delaware that was very extensive and inclusive (got to meet all of the faculty, attend a class, tour, ask questions of current students, etc). The same goes for Chatham. Now I feel like I have a very good feel for Delaware and Chatham, but not Pitt.

So I am requesting any info that might be helpful in the decision between Pitt and Delaware from prospective, current, or past students at either program! (Especially info on Pitt....likes, dislikes, what convinced you to decide to go there, etc).

As a sidenote, one of my concerns about Pitt is if it has a personal/comfortable feel to it because I definitely got that vibe from both Delaware and Chatham and it really impressed me!

Thank you in advance for your time and advice! This is such a big decision and I want to make the most informed decision that I can!!!

PS-I did use the search function first as advised and obtained alot of basic info but not exactly what I am looking for so hopefully I am not perceived as being repetitive with my questions! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning on attending Pitt Preview Day in a few weeks? It should give you a better feel for the program. If you have any more specific Pitt questions, feel free to PM me; I'm a first year there.

Hello there and thank you so much for your response!

Yes I am definitely attending Preview Pitt PT on the 27th! As you mentioned, I am hoping that it will give me a better idea of if the program would be a good fit for me.

I am going to go ahead and PM you tomorrow with some specific questions about the program at Pitt if you are still OK with that....but just to warn you I do have quite a few of them!!!

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as Pitt, your tuition is 1/2 the normal rate in your third year clinical since they pay you a salary. All of your clinicals are taken in Pittsburgh through the UPMC system, so no need to worry about doing any extensive travelling (some programs require you to do a long distance clinical where you have to relocate). Clinicals start the second semester of your first year, most schools wait until the second year. You do not do any complete gross anatomy dissections on cadavers, most schools do. They probably don't do interviews since the pool of applicants is so high due to the #2 school ranking that they don't feel they have to sell the program to anyone. Course content is similar at all schools in order for the school to be accredited so it really comes down to the intangibles. Good luck.

I am also a 1st year student at PITT... feel free to pm your questions if you want.

PT Dad you hit the nail on the head! At this point, it is coming down to the intangibles for me...and that is why I need to get more of a "feel" for the program at Pitt to see if it would be a good fit for me....

Thanks for the info!