MPH Looking for programs that fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwmmkk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to MPH programs this fall (to start Fall 2017). After getting my Masters in Education and teaching science, health, and engineering for 4 years in urban public schools, I'm looking to switch careers. I'm passionate about LGBT health and want to continue working in urban communities in the US, particularly around HIV prevention. In short, I'm going for community health/behavioral health programs but would like the flexibility to learn a little biostat and epidemiology.

Based on my unofficial GRE scores, prestige of my undergrad, undergrad GPA (bio major, education minor), and grad GPA, I think I'm a possible candidate for top schools and a very competitive candidate for most schools. I'm not asking anyone to chance me since I just took my GRE today. What I need are program suggestions!

Are there any other programs you'd recommend for someone who...
a) will need LOTS of help in funding this
b) wants to live in an affordable area (ie., NOT Boston, New York City, or California)
c) wants to be in a truly diverse program
and d) wants to get involved in community organizations and issues right away and ultimately settle in the community in the buy-a-house, raise-some-kids sense

Already, I'm applying to Colorado SPH, Drexel, Pitt, Minnesota, U Buffalo, and Northeastern. (NE is in there in case factors outside my control require me to live in Boston.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I might consider adding Brown to your list of places to apply it checks most of your boxes. There is a lot going on relating to HIV treatment in prevention, especially with a behavioral slant. The curriculum is flexible. There is some funding available (I think most MPH students get 25% off tuition). Providence is more affordable than those other cities you listed. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by diversity because that means a bunch of different things (people? courses? faculty? experiences? There are a lot of ways to do community based research or get involved in the community. Brown's SPH itself is pretty new which is probably the biggest drawback.

I might consider adding Brown to your list of places to apply it checks most of your boxes. There is a lot going on relating to HIV treatment in prevention, especially with a behavioral slant. The curriculum is flexible. There is some funding available (I think most MPH students get 25% off tuition). Providence is more affordable than those other cities you listed. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by diversity because that means a bunch of different things (people? courses? faculty? experiences? There are a lot of ways to do community based research or get involved in the community. Brown's SPH itself is pretty new which is probably the biggest drawback.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Brown hadn't come up at all in my own research, so I'll definitely look into it. I really enjoy Providence.

By diversity, I mostly mean a diverse student body, particularly regarding age and academic/professional background. What I like most about public health is its interdisciplinary nature, and so I'm really looking for a program that people come to from all different angles. I've gotten the impression that some programs are targeted towards particular audiences (like JHU and MDs; Iowa and agriculture students), which doesn't appeal to me. Secondarily, I'm a visible member of a few minority groups and would feel most comfortable with at least a few other faces around like mine.

I'd also like a diverse selection of courses. That's more of a preference than a "must-have" though. I am confident I can get the education I need in a very structured program but would enjoy flexibility and the ability to take cross-concentration courses more.

If you're passionate about LGBT research, the Williams Institute at UCLA (I know, California) is probably one of the top in the world. Just something to consider.