General Admissions & OTCAS Looking for Schools to Apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datboiballislife

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking this forum for the past 8 months (I know I'm not alone) and I am looking to apply to OT schools for the upcoming cycles (or if they're open now).

Unfortunately, if you're reading this it is another low GPA thread.

Back story: Graduated college with a 2.75 gpa. BS Biology
I decided to pursue OT during the summer of last year, so since September of 2015 I've taken 28 credits (32 after A&P II this summer session), of OT prereqs and I've retaken two chem courses (Orgo I, Gen Chem I) at my local CC. I now have a 3.46 gpa at the CC and my OT prereq grades are:
A&P I: B+
Lifespan Development: A
Sociology: A
Intro to Psych: A-
Abnormal Psych: A
Anthropology: A
3-D Ceramics: A (took the class because I know that some schools have it as a prereq, so I might as well take it and boost my GPA)
Statistics: B (took this when I actually did my Ugrad)

My official GRE scores 152Q 149V 4.0W

My senior year of Ugrad I took 34 credits and had a 3.3 in upper level science classes if that counts for anything.

I do not have any OT shadow experience, but I have 200+ hours shadowing in geriatric medicine in a hospital setting, but again not in an OT setting. The problem I have with OT observations is not the lack of opportunities but the lack of time I have. I work a full-time 9-5 in a lab, so I cannot skip work to observe.

Obviously, I am looking at schools that consider your last 60 credits, but I am also looking for schools that do not require OT observation hours or at least do not require them for an application to be complete. If it were required of me to have observation hours after the fact my application were complete or as a condition for acceptance, then I'd be able to quit my job. But not having the assurance of going back to school will not make me leave my job.

The only schools I have on my radar is USA and Dominican, although from reading their FAQ's it does not say whether the observation hours are required for a completed app.
I am looking for help in finding places to apply to where I would be a competitive candidate. I do not care where I go nor the cost (obviously the cheaper, the better but beggars can't be choosers). It's cliche around here but I really feel like I've worked very hard to help my cause and I'm hoping that any of you kind souls could help me in my pursuit of becoming an OT.:nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

shadow an ot before applying. there is a chance that you could not like it. it is unquestionably worth skipping work or calling out sick if this is what you want to do with your life. heck, you can even find an ot that works on the weekend.

shadow an ot before applying. there is a chance that you could not like it. it is unquestionably worth skipping work or calling out sick if this is what you want to do with your life. heck, you can even find an ot that works on the weekend.

I do not have days off from work anymore. I took my days off to ensure that I could study and do well on my exams, which I did, so there are no regrets about that. I financially support myself so skipping work is not worth it. And let me rephrase my lack of OT observation. I do have exposure to OT. In my time working in the hospital, we had to take certain patients to the OT who worked there and I watched from afar. I do not have the intimate observation directly working with an OT but I do know what entails the job. I have looked into weekend settings but have no luck finding any (NJ). I can certainly do weekend observations but I have no luck finding a place that offers it. Again, it's not like I am blindly going into the field. I've done an assessment of my academics, and the skills that I have where I can be most successful and I'm working towards that in OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need tldr bruh

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I wouldn't apply anywhere with those stats without your hours being at least somewhat complete. I just don't see how you would be competitive without them. It's one of the few areas you can use to compensate for a low GPA. Not to mention that they are a part of your application, so by not having them complete (or a plan to complete them), you are essentially submitting an incomplete application. I don't think a school will think you are serious about OT if you haven't put in observation time in the field (exposure is great, but not the only thing they're looking for); what OTs are writing letters of rec for you if you don't have observation experience with any? What content is going to be in your essay about your first hand, hands on, experience with OT?

My advice would be to wait a year and get that straightened out to give yourself the best chance of success. Try to look for clinics or hospitals that have weekend hours; see if any of your social contacts have any connections. If you can retake the GRE and bring your scores up, that would help too.

I have a low cumulative as well (2.8) and similar pre-req grades. I got into USA and UF; UF was on my second try applying there.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but I think it's an honest one and one you need to hear.

Honestly I wouldn't apply anywhere with those stats without your hours being at least somewhat complete. I just don't see how you would be competitive without them. It's one of the few areas you can use to compensate for a low GPA. Not to mention that they are a part of your application, so by not having them complete (or a plan to complete them), you are essentially submitting an incomplete application. I don't think a school will think you are serious about OT if you haven't put in observation time in the field (exposure is great, but not the only thing they're looking for); what OTs are writing letters of rec for you if you don't have observation experience with any? What content is going to be in your essay about your first hand, hands on, experience with OT?

My advice would be to wait a year and get that straightened out to give yourself the best chance of success. Try to look for clinics or hospitals that have weekend hours; see if any of your social contacts have any connections. If you can retake the GRE and bring your scores up, that would help too.

I have a low cumulative as well (2.8) and similar pre-req grades. I got into USA and UF; UF was on my second try applying there.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but I think it's an honest one and one you need to hear.

It's fine. I appreciate the honesty and I understand that observation hours are important. I guess I'll just have to find a place then.

How many hours of observation did you do? Did you get into USA on your first try?

You are good for USA. Maybe a tad bit higher GRE? It depends on which campus you want to go to I guess.

Look at some public options. USA and other private schools are pretty expensive.

Western Michigan looks at your last 60. Just talked to someone about this...

You are good for USA. Maybe a tad bit higher GRE? It depends on which campus you want to go to I guess.

Look at some public options. USA and other private schools are pretty expensive.

Western Michigan looks at your last 60. Just talked to someone about this...

As far as USA goes, I don't really mind the campus I go to. My primary concern is getting into an OT school in general. Beggars can't be choosers. I've accepted that my path into an OT school will be tough and may be more expensive and that is my own fault. All I can do is keep working, taking more classes if I have to, and pretty much keep grinding. A cheaper option in a public school would be nice, but I am definitely not confident that I would be accepted into any program. That being said, I will be applying to OTCAS schools when the cycle opens. I will take scubagators advice and get my hours prior to applying. I do have an acquaintance who works as an OT and I contacted him today about weekend OT hours and he said that he might be able to help me out. In terms of getting the hours in -- I hope this is my break. Being able to keep my job is crucial to me as it has helped me pay for my additional classes, healthcare, student loans, etc.

If I were to have an opportunity to get hands-on observational hours in OT, would say 100 hours make me a competitive candidate for schools, not just USA? Scuba, how many hours of OT observations did you have when you applied to UF the second time around?

As far as USA goes, I don't really mind the campus I go to. My primary concern is getting into an OT school in general. Beggars can't be choosers. I've accepted that my path into an OT school will be tough and may be more expensive and that is my own fault. All I can do is keep working, taking more classes if I have to, and pretty much keep grinding. A cheaper option in a public school would be nice, but I am definitely not confident that I would be accepted into any program. That being said, I will be applying to OTCAS schools when the cycle opens. I will take scubagators advice and get my hours prior to applying. I do have an acquaintance who works as an OT and I contacted him today about weekend OT hours and he said that he might be able to help me out. In terms of getting the hours in -- I hope this is my break. Being able to keep my job is crucial to me as it has helped me pay for my additional classes, healthcare, student loans, etc.

If I were to have an opportunity to get hands-on observational hours in OT, would say 100 hours make me a competitive candidate for schools, not just USA? Scuba, how many hours of OT observations did you have when you applied to UF the second time around?

I dont think 100 hours is very competitive for USA. I think the minimum was 90 from 2 settings with lors...

Admission into campuses of USA vary from looking at other threads. It looks like Austin might be easier to get into atm because of it being new and/or probationary accreditation. Just what I read, you can research this on the forum or ask some of the other OT users.

my cohort had pretty extensive experiences with OT. Sometimes personal...

I had a bunch of OT hours and a lot of volunteer hours in general. I also worked in teh medical field for several years.

Are you expecting an A in AP II?

I think you have a chance, just do some research on the school's requirements as far as what they want from a student. In your personal statement, really elaborate on why OT is for you, where you work, and the times you did get to shadow a therapist, what made those times so impactful. You have the grades, work with what you got. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for the support and advice. Do any of you know my chances for a school like Bay Path and Lenoir Rhyne? I've been cruising around checking for more options and they seem a little more promising as well.

I believe it is much more about the quality of your observation rather than the quantity. You already have 200+ with geriatric population in a hospital setting. It may not be under an OT but you have understanding of the population's need. I would focus your OT hours on other areas to enhance your exposure to various clients because OT works with everybody and anybody. Pediatrics, mental health, skilled nursing facility, and etc. You don't need to quit your job but it will take extra work to find specific place that offers OT services outside 9-5. They definitely exist though. There are OT that works weekends and evenings- you just need to find where they are at. The purpose of hours and letter of recs are to prove that the applicant understand what OT is. You can understand without the observation hour but it requires more work to prove that you have a better grasp of it than other applicants actually have shadowing experience. It's a bumpy ride for you but it's not impossible. If OT is truly what you are meant to do, then, with diligence, you will overcome. OT is probably the one professional that is forgiving of low stat scores. Not all of them but there are definitely schools that look at the entire package and not just the numbers alone. This is coming from an current OTS with a lower stat application.

how about nova- fort lauderdale? the weather will be nice. you will be able to play a lot of ball.

for shadowing, you can take my spot at this hospital i'm stuck at. listen to the OT talk about how great she is for 5 hours. maybe more if you accidentally leave at the same time and are walking in the same direction.

how about nova- fort lauderdale? the weather will be nice. you will be able to play a lot of ball.

for shadowing, you can take my spot at this hospital i'm stuck at. listen to the OT talk about how great she is for 5 hours. maybe more if you accidentally leave at the same time and are walking in the same direction.
I'm sorry for your experience. Something my professors remind us is that there are good and bad ones out there. Think doctors, think teachers, think servers. OT is no different. From the experience, learn what not to do to make it better. Hopefully, the OT will be good at certain things that you can take away from it if there is any validity in her bragging.

I'm sorry for your experience. Something my professors remind us is that there are good and bad ones out there. Think doctors, think teachers, think servers. OT is no different. From the experience, learn what not to do to make it better. Hopefully, the OT will be good at certain things that you can take away from it if there is any validity in her bragging.

haha I must've been having a bad day when I posted this. It's really not that bad there and I rotate a ton between the therapists.

Her bragging, unfortunately, is not OT related so I get nothing out of it. It's so delusional that it can be entertaining at times though. It's all about how much better she is (has more fun, is in better shape etc) than people half her age.

I got observation hrs while working f/t and taking prereqs. Plus, I am a parent. I did most of my hrs on weekend days.

I got observation hrs while working f/t and taking prereqs. Plus, I am a parent. I did most of my hrs on weekend days.
That's admirable. Can you share where you were able to find a weekend OT place? Still struggling to find one (NJ).