Looking for some help with Career-Changer PostBacc List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Apologies in advance for the long post. I'm a current senior looking to apply for a 1-year career changer postbacc this cycle but am having a bit of trouble putting together a list, particularly for match/safety schools. I know that Bryn Mawr, Scripps, John Hopkins, Goucher, and UVA are among the strongest programs from what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, so I'll definitely try sending in an application to some/all of these, but I'm not too confident about getting in given the small intakes and the fact that I'm currently doing my bachelor's abroad. I went through the AAMC Career Changer Postbacc List and found every single 1 year post-bacc program that starts after my graduation and ended up with this surprisingly short list (not counting those above):

Bennington
Georgetown
University of Vermont
Thomas Jefferson (P4)
George Washington
Agnes Scott
Loyola Marymount University
University of Colorado Boulder
Meredith College
Mt. Holyoke (not too clear if can be done in 1 year)
UPenn Pre-Health Core Studies (same as Mt. Holyoke)

There doesn't seem to be too much information in general about stats/acceptance rates for these, but all of them appear to have small cohorts. Do you guys have any tips on how to pick matches/safeties to fill out my list? I'm looking to send 8 or so applications, but I can do more if need be. Here are my stats:

Academics:
Mathematics Major/Economics Minor
GPA: 3.84/4.00
SAT: 2340 (800 W,800 CR,740 Math)
GRE: 168V/170Q/5.5W

Experience:
~90 hours non clinical volunteering
~80 hours shadowing
-One year of research in unrelated field (no publication)
-A few leadership positions in clubs (unrelated to health care)
-Currently volunteering in a hospital, 10 hrs a week

I think I can safely assume good, but not spectacular personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Also, since my volunteering is definitely on the weak side, would it be beneficial to apply a little bit later after I've gained more hours at the hospital?

Thanks for reading and any help you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

We're currently in the same boat. I've just graduated abroad and moving to the US as permanent resident. Upon contacting Goucher, Georgetown, University of Southern California and Bryn Mawr, they unfortunately don't accept our international baccalaureate degrees. Whist
Hopkins, NYU, Scripps, Northwestern, Columbia, Tufts and Washington University in St. Louis said that they do accept international baccalaureate degrees as long it has been evaluated by WES (world education services)

However, a recent response to a thread I started stated that some Medical School require 2+ years of formal education within US. So, I will start contacting several Medical Schools to check if they do require 2 years or a year of formal education within US or if a Postbacc program is sufficient.

How did your researching go so far? Any updates that you can share?

Last edited: