Looking For Some Insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Earreplaceable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time researching AuD programs trying to find the right fit for me, and I am in the process of narrowing down my list to 7-10 schools to apply. As of now, I see myself happiest in a clinically-oriented program. I have a strong interest in the geriatric population, but could also see myself finding a love for pediatrics. Finding a school that will offer me a substantial financial package is a high priority for me. Like I posted previously, I am a SLP major with an expected 3.9 (4.0 in major) at a relatively unknown state school. I intend to have average GRE scores, and I have done my fair share of volunteering/shadowing. I was wondering if anyone (alumni, current AuD students, people who visited, etc.) could give me information on any of the following programs:

Arizona State University
Central Michigan University
Gallaudet
Indiana University
James Madison University
Northeast Ohio AuD Consortium
Purdue University
San Diego State University
Syracuse
Towson
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Illinois
University of Massachusetts
University of Memphis
University of North Carolina
University of Oklahoma
University of South Florida
University of Tennessee
University of Texas - Austin
University of Utah

Members don't see this ad.

If financial aid is a priority, I would suggest adding East Tennessee State University to your list-- I think everyone in my (smallish) cohort is receiving some form of financial aid, as this has historically been the case according to ASHA EdFind. Also, the program works in conjunction with the VA hospital on campus, so you get some major emphasis on clinical training working with the veterans.

Sorry for not having more info for you from your list, I got into/was waitlisted at several schools on your list but never got the chance to visit.

I got into Purdue and it was very much focused on research. My visit consisted of three lab tours and I think part of the reason I got in was because they had mistaken my independent study for research. I also did not like that you would have to travel for some of your clinical placements. I ended up choosing Ohio State because you get the choice between doing research or getting a specialty. However, there is no financial aid for first year students.

Members don't see this ad :)
WordNerd11,
It is interesting that you mentioned East Tennessee State University. I heavily researched the school and was very interested (especially with the VA collaboration!) However, a professor at my school advised against it. They were under the impression that the department was in turmoil (faculty quiting, problems with the VA/AuD program conjunction, etc). Has this been untrue of your experience? From what I have researched online, it seems to be a great program!

allie4409,
Thanks for the information on Purdue! I toured Ohio State for my undergraduate, and I really loved the campus. Now if only I could afford it without financial aid!

Earreplaceable,
Unless I was completely fooled by everyone I met at ETSU and my professors at the local TN school I went to who have close relationships with a few professors at ETSU and know the program quite well, I'm not sure there is much validity to your professors comments about the program. At least, I really hope he was misinformed. They seemed to have a thriving relationship with the VA and every professor I met there was exceptionally enthusiastic. After our cohort had been established, several (close to 7 or 8) current students sent emails to us introducing themselves and offering advice as well as really emphasizing their positive experience in the program. So I'm really confused as to why your professor is so vehemently against the program...or maybe Wordnerd11 and I have been had! :(

Last edited:
WordNerd11,
It is interesting that you mentioned East Tennessee State University. I heavily researched the school and was very interested (especially with the VA collaboration!) However, a professor at my school advised against it. They were under the impression that the department was in turmoil (faculty quiting, problems with the VA/AuD program conjunction, etc). Has this been untrue of your experience? From what I have researched online, it seems to be a great program!
I'm about to start my first year at ETSU, so I don't have a whole lot of experience yet, but I can say that I haven't heard anything of the sort. In fact, I've been up there to visit/do registration type things several times, and I can say that each time everyone seems very put together and well organized. I've never had problems contacting anybody, and everybody seems super friendly and like they are very invested both in the vets and in our educations. I think the VA collaboration is relatively (like in the past 5 years or so) new, so maybe the turmoil they're referring to was in the beginning of the program when they were trying to iron out the kinks? But so far, at least for me, everything's been great and i'm super excited to get started.

My advice would be to visit the program if you can, talk to current students if you can't. I'd be happy to give you more information when I actually get underway at the end of August! Also, Dr. Chase, our adviser, has been really great about answering any and all questions I've had, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind answering yours as well if you're looking for a faculty contact.

That is exciting news to hear! I will add it back to my list and get in contact with someone there. It's possible my professor knew one unhappy faculty member that left years ago that blew the issues out of proportion. Good luck to you guys going to ECSU! Like I said, it seems like a terrific program!

That is exciting news to hear! I will add it back to my list and get in contact with someone there. It's possible my professor knew one unhappy faculty member that left years ago that blew the issues out of proportion. Good luck to you guys going to ECSU! Like I said, it seems like a terrific program!
Correction: ETSU!!!

Be sure to check out Starkey's scholarship. They give up to six $10,000 scholarships.

I go to JMU as undergrad and as I go there I have a high interest in their program. What I have heard is that most if not all students get funding, and assistantships so money is not an issue. But as far as more clinically oriented I would have to argue that it is more research, you are required to due a research dissertation in order to graduate. The plus side on the clinical side is that you are 1 hour from the University of Virginia medical center and I have talked with grad students that have got to follow Audiologist there. That is the extent of my knowledge. Hope it helps!

Northeast Ohio AuD Consortium and Ohio State are both great programs. Getting to work with Gail Whitelaw, Kris English, Erin Miller, and a few other big names in the field is a plus for those programs and they are both very clinically oriented. Both are near large metro areas so I know students go to VA placements, hospital placements, and private practices so they get a well rounded clinical experience.

I'm a bit bias though for programs in the midwest because I know all those folks. :laugh:

I applied to both James Madison and Northeast Ohio AuD Consortium and found them to be on opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to clinically vs. research-oriented programs. James Madison seemed strongly focused on research - the faculty included some very impressive and groundbreaking researchers in the field and they do require a pretty serious dissertation, whereas many programs require a less formal research project. NOAC, on the other hand, was very clinically focused. The faculty emphasized that it was a strength of the program in that they cared more about teaching and training the students rather than publishing their own work. They also do not require any research project, just a course on research methods I believe.

If a strong financial package is important to you, James Madison typically fully funds their students, which is awesome. If you apply to NOAC I would suggest applying through Akron rather than Kent, as I think they have slightly better financial aid available. A notable strength of NOAC's program is their collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic, which is ranked as one of the top 5 hospitals in the country. Really, I don't think you could go wrong with either program.

That being said, I also ended up deciding on East Tennessee State and will start my first year this fall with WordNerd and AudlyInterested! I thought their program was a good balance between a great clinical experience (direct collaboration with the VA and experience at many other medical facilities nearby) and exposure to research (research project requirement, opportunity to work with VA or ETSU faculty on a broad range of research focuses). Like you, I preferred a geriatric population so the VA involvement really aligned with my preferences. And, as was already mentioned, they also offer great financial packages. Definitely agree that you shouldn't take it off your list if you were previously interested!

James Madison University has traditionally funded their students' tuition costs in the entirety. When funding is available, stipends may be awarded based on academic merit and progress in the program. As someone familiar with the program, I did not know of anyone who had to make a tuition payment during their time there (sometimes a temporary payment was made before being reimbursed).

The program does focus on the development of research abilities, thought this may change. The professors who advise students during their dissertation work are all passionate about their work, and their enthusiasm for research carries over into their attitude toward mentoring students and instructing courses. Along with the dissertation, comprehensive written and oral comps are completed during the 3rd year. This is a terrible experience, but nothing can make you more prepared for the Praxis.

Classwise, there are several strengths and weaknesses. The department has a spot to fill in its faculty, and seems to be leaning toward someone specializing in vestibular work. This could improve that class, which has typically fallen on the 1st year. Anatomy & physiology and Neurophysiologic measures are both two part classes, and may be the strongest offerings. Each cohort seems to have a different experience, dependent mostly on the departmental shift in faculty and the plans to move to a different building on campus within the next year or so. Some courses (i.e. tinnitus and business) are outsourced to adjunct professors, but the school chooses excellent professors for such courses.

There is an on-campus clinic which sees primarily geriatric patients along with a few pediatrics and special needs cases. An autism clinic is held during the summer session. The first two years are spent primarily in this on-campus clinic, while the third year is spent at nearby practices. There are several excellent clinicians in the area who are happy to have JMU students come in an learn. Additionally, JMU has established contracts with several incredible 4th year sites across the country, including pediatric and general hospitals, VA medical centers, and private practices.

In all, I enjoyed my time at JMU. There were several times in which I was genuinely frustrated with how certain issues were handled or how particular programs were managed, but it is generally a very well run program.

Thanks everyone for the information! It is truly helping a lot. It is also great to know the schools that have previously offered financial aid packages. I was really interested in San Diego State University until I inquired about the typical financial aid package, and it simply isn't possible for me. It is great to hear from people first hand.