Looking for thoughts on a few programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thama

cerebral electrician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some thoughts regarding the perceived quality of training offered by a few programs. I'm not very familiar with this part of the country, so for anyone that is I'd appreciate any insight.

Wash U
Case Western
Northwestern/McGaw
U Michigan

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am happy to answer any questions re. Wash U. Overall, it is an outstanding training program. It is generally considered to be a top-tier residency - you can look through the "top five" thread. You will work hard and learn a lot from leaders in the field. Trainees have moved on to excellent fellowship programs (they post the list online, although with a few inaccuracies). Do you have a particular research or sub-specialty interest?

I can answer general questions about Michigan/Ann Arbor (love it!) and the research environment there, but am not familiar with the training program. If you had a specific question, I may be able to find the answer for you, though.

Last edited:
Since you're familiar with Wash U, what is the working environment like there?

In my experience, the residents and faculty are very nice. Attendings are happy to teach and provide mentorship. I never felt that the program was malignant in any way. You are expected to work hard and know your stuff. Anything less is not ok, with the attendings or with the co-residents. Each resident class has its own personality. Our group was very close-knit, as was often the case. We helped each other. Always. No questions asked. A lot of people remain at Wash U, not because they can't go elsewhere, but because they are happy.