Looking to apply to caribbean next year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd time around now. I have good overall looking stats. good MCAT, 3.6 science GPA and 3.26 overall. What doesn't show up on the surface are my 4 F's on my transcript and multiple W's. I had an injury in a rugby game and ended up not able to attend 2 months of class about 6 years ago, my last 3 years have been a 3.91 GPA and trust me, medical schools don't care that much about trends. I have been rejected from 5 medical schools that I have interviewed at so far including last year. I still have more interviews but I don't see any reason to expect a change.

The schools that I have been rejected at:
last year:
Texas A&M,
UT San Antonio,
UT southwestern,
Texas Tech,
and this year
Vanderbilt
and I have 4 more interview invites that I'm predicting are leading to rejections.

Do you guys think that Ross or another caribbean medical school will overlook these F's and let me in? I'm also willing to go to a less prestigous caribbean or Latin american medical school.

If I go Caribbean I will be dedicated to p0wning the USMLE as much as posible and I've already decided to start studying for these tests ahead of time because I'm determined to become a doctor.

I also speak spanish.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on my 2nd time around now. I have good overall looking stats. good MCAT, 3.6 science GPA and 3.26 overall. What doesn't show up on the surface are my 4 F's on my transcript and multiple W's. I had an injury in a rugby game and ended up not able to attend 2 months of class about 6 years ago, my last 3 years have been a 3.91 GPA and trust me, medical schools don't care that much about trends. I have been rejected from 5 medical schools that I have interviewed at so far including last year. I still have more interviews but I don't see any reason to expect a change.

The schools that I have been rejected at:
last year:
Texas A&M,
UT San Antonio,
UT southwestern,
Texas Tech,
and this year
Vanderbilt
and I have 4 more interview invites that I'm predicting are leading to rejections.

Do you guys think that Ross or another caribbean medical school will overlook these F's and let me in? I'm also willing to go to a less prestigous caribbean or Latin american medical school.

If I go Caribbean I will be dedicated to p0wning the USMLE as much as posible and I've already decided to start studying for these tests ahead of time because I'm determined to become a doctor.

I also speak spanish.

Yes they will accept you no doubt, but what about PR schools? They a LCME so they are the same as going to a USA medschool? And they do accept your stats without a doubt! In fact your stats are good for them.:luck:

Definitely apply to the schools in Puerto Rico. One of the requirements is that you can speak Spanish and interview in Spanish. Formally they specify on the various schools' websites that the professors can lecture in whatever language they choose. Because most professors are Puerto Rican the lectures will be in Spanish.

I would have applied there myself to attend an ACGME accredited school but because my fiancee can't speak Spanish we decided to go to Ross. If you're interviewing in the U.S you'll get into Ross no problem.

!Buena suerte hermano!

--
UTG.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow with those stats to get got turned you may have some personality problems because those are excellent grades,,,whats up man?

wow with those stats to get got turned you may have some personality problems because those are excellent grades,,,whats up man?

4 F's are excellent? .

I score well on interviews based on what the deans told me.

This is what a personality problem is: A person that is a greedy selfish thief that knows how to charm the hell out of an interviewer and make himself look like a good person and will fraud medicare later on after becoming a doctor.

This is not a personality problem: A premed that can get a little nervous in an interview but would never lie or take anything that isn't theirs and who would also love to help other people.

I know a person of the first type that got into medical with low scores and a person of the second type that did not with higher scores.

The personality problems are all over the medical field, doctors that use drugs, cheat, defraud medicare, try to dick over other doctors and do everything to make the max buck, and our medical school admission techniques of today are propagating that because a dishonest person can charm an interviewer better then an honest person can.

I like the techniques they use at the medical school in bogota colombia I'm looking into, they give you the entrance test at the interview and they base it 100% on ability. Of course I'm sure if you go in and slap the secretary on the ass you won't get in. I'd also have to set up practice there.

How do you just draw a conclusion like that? This guy already metioned that he's doing his second undergraduate degree and that he has 4 F's on his transcript.

It is my understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that applying from the schools in Puerto Rico, you will not be counted as an IMG. That's a plus.

Definitely apply to the schools in Puerto Rico. One of the requirements is that you can speak Spanish and interview in Spanish. Formally they specify on the various schools' websites that the professors can lecture in whatever language they choose. Because most professors are Puerto Rican the lectures will be in Spanish.

I would have applied there myself to attend an ACGME accredited school but because my fiancee can't speak Spanish we decided to go to Ross. If you're interviewing in the U.S you'll get into Ross no problem.

!Buena suerte hermano!

--
UTG.

Thank man! I'll consider the schools in PR also, next cycle I will be applying to a bunch of schools out of the US. I'll include Ross, SGU, Ponce, SABA and other schools.

If applying to Puerto Rican medical schools don't forget to take the required credits of Spanish language classes. I believe you need six credits. Good luck to you!:)

How many w's do you have on your transcript? Did you just withdraw from one class each semester or multiple classes? How many credit hours were you left with when you withdrew? Did they ask about your f's and w's at the interview? It's obvious it's not your grades because if that was the case, they wouldn't have called you in for an interview if they didn't think you could handle the curriculum. They would be wasting their time.... You didn't say what your mcat scores were.

Regarding the OP's MCAT scores, have a look at his public profile, then access his mdapplicants profile from there.

TexasFool: You surely have a shot at the PR schools. Did you address your circumstances in your personal statement and/or interviews?

are you sure you are telling us everything?

there has to be a freaking school in the 49 states of the mainland US that is willing to take a student with a 3.26 overall and 37MCAT. So you have 4 F's due to a rugby injury, im thinking that you already told does school why you got 4 f's? right? because an injury can happened to anyone!!

How do you think you are doing in the interviews???

are you sure you are telling us everything?

there has to be a freaking school in the 49 states of the mainland US that is willing to take a student with a 3.26 overall and 37MCAT. So you have 4 F's due to a rugby injury, im thinking that you already told does school why you got 4 f's? right? because an injury can happened to anyone!!

How do you think you are doing in the interviews???

Where did he say he had a 37 MCAT score? I must have missed that part.

Hmmm...Sabamed, I've seen that avatar somewhere...just can't quite put my finger on it.

In his mdapplicant profile.

This must be a joke right? He got a 37 on the MCAT and is worried about getting in? Even f its true with multiple W's you can still get it and at the least most if not all the DO schools.

I completely agree with SABAmed!!! OP, if you want to become a doctor then DO is a good route. If you dn't get accepted to an MD program then go DO I mean why not, after all a doctors a doctor no matter if it is DO or MD behind thier name's. And beside's the DO stigma is mellowing down alot and fast according to some DO's that ive heard from... So I would indeed apply DO and if you want some foreign MD programs as well, but with those stat's you should be able to get into most DO's if not all schools...

Just my 2 centz :D

I don't know, I'm paranoid that maybe an LOR said something bad about me. I don't know, but I'm goind MD for my own reasons and I won't consider DO. I figured that if I go to SGU then I'll try to max the boards and become the best doc possible; however, if I get into A&M I'll be in a better financial position.