Looking to drop out of current master's program - will it ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omsies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, or if this thread belongs in the 'what are my chances' forum.

Anyways, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Started a one-year MS program in this past August while applying to MD programs for fall 2013 matriculation. The program is primarily for academic enhancement (i.e. to boost my chances while applying), but the degree's focus interested me as well. Partway through the semester (admittedly eons too late), and I finally look into DO programs and embrace the equality of the two degrees/types of physicians. So I applied to several DO schools and have recently received (not submitted) a few secondaries from these programs.

I am extremely tempted to drop out of the master's program. Quite simply, I believe that my candidacy for medical school is strong enough as it stands to be admitted to at least one of the DO programs.

Summary stats:
- 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
- Best and most recent MCAT is 32R (12P / 9V / 11B), two previously scored exams of 30 and 29
- ECs are above average, include 500+ hours clinical work, a fellowship for health education abroad, full-time employment post-undergrad, and other leadership/ research/ employment roles

Will dropping out of this MS program be a red flag for admissions committees, or otherwise severely affect my prospects for admission? Since I have already completed one semester of the master's degree, what will result of my grades in the program for this semester (i.e. will I have to report them to schools)? What can I do, if anything, to maintain an 'untainted' personal profile if I ultimately decide to drop out?

For what it's worth, I won't be dropping out just to be a lazy bum, until a hopeful school acceptance and matriculation thereafter. I have two job opportunities (doc's office, laboratory) that could immediately replace my time commitment, and frankly, these are much more appealing to me than accumulating even more student debt BEFORE medical school.

Thank you for reading this, any information or insight would be very much appreciated. Happy holidays and new year.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, or if this thread belongs in the 'what are my chances' forum.

Anyways, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Started a one-year MS program in this past August while applying to MD programs for fall 2013 matriculation. The program is primarily for academic enhancement (i.e. to boost my chances while applying), but the degree's focus interested me as well. Partway through the semester (admittedly eons too late), and I finally look into DO programs and embrace the equality of the two degrees/types of physicians. So I applied to several DO schools and have recently received (not submitted) a few secondaries from these programs.

I am extremely tempted to drop out of the master's program. Quite simply, I believe that my candidacy for medical school is strong enough as it stands to be admitted to at least one of the DO programs.

Summary stats:
- 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
- Best and most recent MCAT is 32R (12P / 9V / 11B), two previously scored exams of 30 and 29
- ECs are above average, include 500+ hours clinical work, a fellowship for health education abroad, full-time employment post-undergrad, and other leadership/ research/ employment roles

Will dropping out of this MS program be a red flag for admissions committees, or otherwise severely affect my prospects for admission? Since I have already completed one semester of the master's degree, what will result of my grades in the program for this semester (i.e. will I have to report them to schools)? What can I do, if anything, to maintain an 'untainted' personal profile if I ultimately decide to drop out?

For what it's worth, I won't be dropping out just to be a lazy bum, until a hopeful school acceptance and matriculation thereafter. I have two job opportunities (doc's office, laboratory) that could immediately replace my time commitment, and frankly, these are much more appealing to me than accumulating even more student debt BEFORE medical school.

Thank you for reading this, any information or insight would be very much appreciated. Happy holidays and new year.

I would stay within the MS program 100%. Your GPA is too shady for MD schools without the program and some DO schools will want the graduate degree if they interview you knowing that you're in a program. Besides...any MS program will most likely help in your first year so why not?

Were I in your position I would drop out and start working. I'm a pretty frugral guy and I hate being in debt so being able to work pre medical school to pay off your application debt and perhaps some of your MS debt would be a huge factor for me.

If you truly feel comfortable going DO then drop out, if not, if you're going to have nagging feelings then stay and try for MD. Either one is the same in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)

Summary stats:
- 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA

Bad idea in my opinion. If you're currently in it just finish it if its a 1 year program. It would be a HUGE red flag to both MD and DO programs. Besides if you're doing well I would just stay.

As they say, you've made your bed so lie in it? You should've never joined it to begin with if you thought you were good enough for a DO program (though your stats are lacking, but great MCAT).

Yes, it will hurt. You'll get interviews, but the #1 question on the AdComs minds will be: "will he bail on us too"?

Summary stats:
- 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA

In my opinion have a good explanation. Do you have any grades from MS program that look bad? If your grades are good they will buy the explanation. If you are just sitting around then finish it. Just my opinion others have also given you good opinion so take mine with few mgms of NaCl.