Looking to purchase Dental Loupes and lights in 2014 - How to Decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantsFan01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking for advice on which 2.5x dental loupes and a light I should purchase. I have seen other discussions on this topic however they are all dated at least 5 years and I am not sure if they are still relevant as the market moves on. I would like to know what are currently the best value loupes and light package I can buy. Are local dealers still the best means to purchase the loupes and lights or are trade shows better? Or should I purchase them direct online? As I know my measurements from my previous loupes. All help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have Surgitel 2.5x with oakley radar frames and a lumadent light. I went with lumadent over the surgitel light because it was cheaper and lighter in weight (I also considered the featherlight). I love my loupes and light. The top three brands I was deciding between were Orascoptic, Designs for Vision, and Surgitel. I think it is a very personal decision and the most important factor for me was how they felt on my head. So, I think it would be a bad idea to just order them online without trying them on. A trade show is a good idea because you would be able to try all different brands at once and compare them. If you can't attend a trade show I would have a rep for the companies you are interested in come to your office and let you try on their different models.

If you want the best value, Q-Optics or maybe Perioptix. By no means are they the best but they are good budget brands. Best thing to do is chat with a local rep or a rep at a meeting and getting an education discount which tends to be the biggest discount companies offer.