LoR after submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm an int'l student MD reapplicant (GPA 3.84, MCAT 520) and submitted a whole bunch of secondaries, completed between mid-July and mid-August. Radio silence so far other than 3 Rs.

Wondering if I can add a LoR from my current employer to my file and if that would make a difference? Started a new job right as I was submitting primaries so I did not have a chance to add this rec to my file. Employer is a very high-up and reputable physician at MGH, thinking maybe their name attached to my app will get me somewhere?

Thoughts? If I do add a letter, should I send to schools as an update or use AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I was pretty much in exactly the same situation and submitted a letter last Friday, I'll let you know how it goes haha

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Sending a letter from a third party directly to a medical school violates the schools agreement with AMCAS. Applicants can be investigated if done 2) adding an LOR after you are completed will have either no impact, as it will not go thru the evaluation process or a negative process impact as you have now requested your file be removed from complete queue, returned to evaluation queue, and then resubmitted to complete queue where it now could wind up now at the bottom of the pile, losing its previous place in line

This is so helpful to know, thank you!! I have a friend who just attached the letter as an "update" to one of their schools but that was after they interviewed and were waitlisted so I guess it's a little different.

Did you submit through AMCAS or did you just attach the letter directly for schools?

Submitted through AMCAS (It's pretty easy to add a letter, plus yeah, not allowed to send it directly). And I just got an II to that school!