LoR ethical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliketurtl3s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question about LoR.
I worked in a lab a few years ago and took care of the animals there. While there, I began dating one of my coworkers and we are still together. There was also the manager who I worked under but rarely saw and didn't really know, maybe one time per week. Then there was the supervisor who I worked directly under and became close with. Towards the end of my time there a horrible accident happened and the supervisor was fired. It wasn't his fault, it wasn't anybody's fault in the least. It was an accident and management wanted someone fired over it.
I kept in contact with him for a while after, but eventually he stopped responding to everybody. I guess he wanted a fresh start and to forget what happened. He would have been the ideal person to write me a letter, and I'm going to try to get ahold of him a few more times before giving up.
My two choices besides him are the manager, who will write me a nice but not personal letter, or the current supervisor. The current supervisor is my SO- she was promoted a year or so after I quit that job. Would it be unethical to have her write me a letter? We worked together for a while, and she is in charge and I know would write me an excellent letter. I know you can't have family write you letters..but is she technically considered family?
I'm not sure what the correct thing to do is here and would appreciate some input.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely unethical to ask a supervisor that is also your SO. Just like a SO in management giving their SO in a lower position a promotion.

That's a conflict of interest and it would be inappropriate for her to write you a recommendation.

Sorry buck-o, a LoR from your SO is a huge no no.