LOR Etiquette and Tailored LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can you respectfully get a professor/somebody to write a more tailored LOR for your application? I have a some great letter writers, but they mostly know me in the same academic context/skills. It would be nice if each one of them could emphasize a different part of me (i.e. scientific communication, critical thinking, dedication, serious reflection on career goals, etc.).

Is it rude if I request something along these lines? Or would it be better to just casually mention these things during a LOR request meeting while somehow still being explicit?

Members don't see this ad.

While I am unsure if this actually worked, here is what I did:

After securing an agreement from a professor or physician to write me a letter I told them that I would send them material to help write my evaluation. In my email (sort of like a cover letter for a job) I talked about the impact of my experience with this individual (or their work) and how this has influenced or accentuated certain of my own qualities. This way you are sort of steering the direction of the letter. I also think letter writers appreciate having documentation from you that they can transition into their own thoughts. I was always sure to be humble and polite when describing the impact of their influence and sure to have some sort of disclaimer saying that they were of course free to evaluate me in the way that they feel is most appropriate. I also included selected activities from my activities section in an attachment.

Casually mentioning what you want in a letter might also work, but it is more risky as you do not know if they received the hint or will remember the conversation when they sit down to write your letter. I think it is better to make sure that your letter writer has all of the ingredients to the letter that you want easily available than to just casually mention what you want for dinner.

A good LOR writer will always try to capture those things. Remember that each person will have their own unique perspective of you.

How can you respectfully get a professor/somebody to write a more tailored LOR for your application? I have a some great letter writers, but they mostly know me in the same academic context/skills. It would be nice if each one of them could emphasize a different part of me (i.e. scientific communication, critical thinking, dedication, serious reflection on career goals, etc.).

Is it rude if I request something along these lines? Or would it be better to just casually mention these things during a LOR request meeting while somehow still being explicit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not email. I made a folder with my PS, Transcript, CV, ECs along with guidance from AAMC on confidentiality of the LORs and guidance on what makes a strong LOR. Then, I took that to each of my LOR writers (even the professors who sit on the adcom for the medical school at my ugrad). Despite that the professors are very well aware of what makes a strong LOR, I wanted to help show I had my proverbial crap together and presented a unified, concise package. And then, I asked for feedback on my approach and whether or not I should tweak anything in my presentation. That gave them the opening to say, "Take the AAMC crap out - I know what to do." They did not.

My LOR writers know me from academia, shadowing and work. The two from academia might say similar things but I'm counting on the others to round out "who" I am and "what" I stand for.

It may have been a little (or a lot) over the top. BUT they were received well... and I cross my fingers and hope the LORs will just reinforce everything else in my package.

Last, I followed up with an email of gratitude for the LOR writers time and feedback. Personally, just emailing LOR writers seems a bit ... distant.

If they're at all experienced as academics, they know how LORs work and will write you a good one (assuming they support your application). I wouldn't bother trying to shoehorn in things you want mentioned unless they specifically ask. What I would do, though, is to try and meet with each of your writers for a bit of time and discuss your interests and ultimate goals. That might be the context in which to "tailor," as you say, what you want each writer to focus on. But I wouldn't come out and say, "hey, I want you to talk about ____ in your letter." They will write what they will write. Give them a CV and PS to give them the opportunity to see their experience with you in its context and let them go. They aren't stupid.

I was lucky enough that one of my professors basically asked me to tell him what I wanted him to write. So I decided to send him my resume and emphasize how dedicated I am to volunteering, since I knew I was already going to get a letter that was going to purely focus on my academic abilities. Maybe if they ask you for a resume, email it to them and in the email, kind of elaborate on some of the experiences that have been important to you to hint that you want them to focus on that.