LOR from a community member?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have organized few important events for an Adult Education Center in my community for about a year and will discontinue my involvement there to focus more on my course load. After helping out there for about a year, the supervisor suggests that he would like to write a reference letter for me if I 've decided to apply for a job this summer. But I am not going to apply for a job this summer. Instead, I will be focusing on studying the DAT. So I would like to ask him to write a reference letter for my dental school admission.

Do dental schools actually require a LOR from a community member? Or is it just two LOR from professors and one from dentist?

I will be applying for dental schools in two years. Can I just ask him to write the letter now and save it for later? I am afraid that he may forget some of my qualities when I approach to write a LOR after two years.

Does he have to send the letter to the dental school directically? Can he just pass the letter to me and I will send the letter to AADAS system by myself?

Hope you guys will help out! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Other than what your specific school requires (3 science, 1 dentist, whatever), you can always send in LORs from whoever. It can be the doctor you did research with, your college basketball coach....heck the President or Tom Cruise. They will either read it and take it into consideration or just trash it. Its worth a shot! I sent in 3 Science LORs, 1 research mentor LOR, 1 Dentist LOR, and 1 "Community Member" LOR. Good Luck :thumbup:

Cheers

thanks for the reply! I guess it doesn't hurt to send LOR from a community member. The more is better. Can I just ask him to write the letter now and I will save it till I apply for dental school in two year? Or does he have to send it by himself on the year that I am applying?