LOR from a science prof whom i didnt have a class with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Tony T. Chopper

Professional Whippersnapper
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated, i am interested in asking for a LOR from my PI who is a science prof, but have not instructed me in any classes. He really appreciates my work ethics and my contrib to the team so I do expect a stellar letter from him. My SDN brethren, what are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools only say that you need a science professor. They do not specify whether it is someone who has taught you. Personally I have two letters from professors whom I TA'd for and one I took a class with. I personally think that you should also get one from a professor who taught you in class you did well in too. LOR's are not going to break your application unless they say something like 'I do not recommend this person.'

As Gundam00 said, it's fine. If I recall correctly from some DO school websites, there are are only one or two schools which state that your LOR science professor has to be your teacher at one point.