LOR/Personal Statements - multiple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aniear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning the application process for AuD programs this fall, and I have multiple questions related to LORs and my personal statement.

1. I am wondering what ratios of professors to employers/non-professors other successful candidates have used for the letters of recommendation. For example, I planned on asking one of my undergraduate professors and two of my employers (1 hospital audiologist and 1 university professor in a humanities field). It might also be possible for me to get a recommendation from my research supervisor (an AuD professor, but I haven't taken any of his classes.) I know traditionally, all of your LORs come from professors who know you well, but all of these people know me well. Is it stronger to get 3 LORs from my undergrad professors who are constantly bombarded by these LOR requests (60 UG students in our program for about 4-6 total professors to handle) or from these people who know me very very well and can attest to my work ethic and enthusiasm for the field?

2. If I am applying to 6 schools, will it be a hassle for the three people above to send these LORs to 6 schools? Should I instead ask 3 people to send LORs to just 3 of the schools and then find another 3 people to send LORs to the other schools?

3. I took a year off in between UG and Grad for personal reasons, but kept up to date on the field, and I am wondering how other students in this situation have worded this in a personal statement?

4. Is it appropriate to send a resume to the schools I am applying to, even if they don't request one? Does this give me any advantage at all?

For more context, I am not concerned about my GRE and GPA, and I am planning to apply to some of the more competitive programs, as well as a couple of safety schools. I couldn't find the answers above elsewhere, but if they do exist, please feel free to redirect me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Aniear,

I completely understand the confusion and tension created by this issue. I am sort of in the same boat as I graduate with my Au.D. and ask myself the same questions regarding potential employers. The answer is not a simple one. However, I was in a tougher situation than you, as I came into audiology late and had graduated from undergrad 3 years before my application to Au.D. programs. As such, I had 0 letters from my professors! From my experience, it is far more important that the folks writing the letters are able to speak honestly about you from experience.

The process and requirements vary by program. Some programs are using an online application pool and limit your customization of the letters and other items in your packet. Others require the packet mailed complete with all items. Any way it is done, follow the guidelines in each application process. If the program requires, for example, 1 professor and two non-educator letters, follow that exactly and hit up one of those busy professors. If the program doesn't specify who writes your letters, choose the strongest writer and a diverse group (research supervisor, 1 employer, and 1 professor). The best part is that many schools that require a packet sent do not require the letter to be sent directly.

Have your references write the letter on their professional letterhead and seal it in a professional envelope with a glued and taped flap. They then sign the tape to show that they sealed it. They should know how to do this. These sealed letters are as good as sealed official transcripts to many institutions.

Ultimately, if you do not know if it is appropriate, you could call the school and ask. They do not deduct points for asking advice. Besides, if you conduct yourself professionally, the call and inquiry could plant a good thought about you in their minds come application review.

Hope this helps!

Yo
I am beginning the application process for AuD programs this fall, and I have multiple questions related to LORs and my personal statement.

1. I am wondering what ratios of professors to employers/non-professors other successful candidates have used for the letters of recommendation. For example, I planned on asking one of my undergraduate professors and two of my employers (1 hospital audiologist and 1 university professor in a humanities field). It might also be possible for me to get a recommendation from my research supervisor (an AuD professor, but I haven't taken any of his classes.) I know traditionally, all of your LORs come from professors who know you well, but all of these people know me well. Is it stronger to get 3 LORs from my undergrad professors who are constantly bombarded by these LOR requests (60 UG students in our program for about 4-6 total professors to handle) or from these people who know me very very well and can attest to my work ethic and enthusiasm for the field?

2. If I am applying to 6 schools, will it be a hassle for the three people above to send these LORs to 6 schools? Should I instead ask 3 people to send LORs to just 3 of the schools and then find another 3 people to send LORs to the other schools?

3. I took a year off in between UG and Grad for personal reasons, but kept up to date on the field, and I am wondering how other students in this situation have worded this in a personal statement?

4. Is it appropriate to send a resume to the schools I am applying to, even if they don't request one? Does this give me any advantage at all?

For more context, I am not concerned about my GRE and GPA, and I am planning to apply to some of the more competitive programs, as well as a couple of safety schools. I couldn't find the answers above elsewhere, but if they do exist, please feel free to redirect me. :)

1. I used a mixture of professors who knew me well (many were biology or psychology professors and had nothing to do with communication science courses). I would recommend you have letters written for you by people who know you best in the academic and real world. So if it's not a communication disorders professor it does not matter. I would think a letter from a current audiologist would be quite powerful as to what kind of a student and audiologist you would be and what you could offer a program.

2. Will it be a hassle? Yes. I do letters all the time for audiology students applying for jobs. It is ALWAYS as a hassle. That being said, it's appreciated when the process is laid out for me in a streamlined fashion so it's the least amount of work for me. If you're going to ask for 6 letters from one person to 6 programs I would suggest you provide detailed instructions on the process for each letter for each program. We don't like guess work. Some programs still take sealed personal letters, others have online forms, some have online bubble forms with fill in boxes. Know how each school does their letters and have these instructions provided to your letter writers. Trust me WE REALLY APPRECIATE THIS! In fact I've know professors who refuse to write letters unless this process is completed.

3. Use it to your advantage. Highlight what you learned from the experience (helped you reflect personally and professionally and realize what you wanted to do in life, etc.) and how it made you a better person and better future clinician. If it was due to illness or family illness, use it to your advantage because we do a lot of counseling in our field.

4. I always sent a CV/Resume to all schools even if not required. It was my chance to fill in any holes that my LOR's and personal statement did not cover.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you AudioEngineer and TheEarDoc! This is very helpful information.

As such, I had 0 letters from my professors! From my experience, it is far more important that the folks writing the letters are able to speak honestly about you from experience.

AudioEngineer: May I ask which types of references you asked instead of you professors? Were they all employers?

1. I used a mixture of professors who knew me well (many were biology or psychology professors and had nothing to do with communication science courses). I would recommend you have letters written for you by people who know you best in the academic and real world. So if it's not a communication disorders professor it does not matter. I would think a letter from a current audiologist would be quite powerful as to what kind of a student and audiologist you would be and what you could offer a program.

2. Will it be a hassle? Yes. I do letters all the time for audiology students applying for jobs. It is ALWAYS as a hassle. That being said, it's appreciated when the process is laid out for me in a streamlined fashion so it's the least amount of work for me. If you're going to ask for 6 letters from one person to 6 programs I would suggest you provide detailed instructions on the process for each letter for each program. We don't like guess work. Some programs still take sealed personal letters, others have online forms, some have online bubble forms with fill in boxes. Know how each school does their letters and have these instructions provided to your letter writers. Trust me WE REALLY APPRECIATE THIS! In fact I've know professors who refuse to write letters unless this process is completed.

TheEarDoc: Thank you for the valuable perspective! I have a follow up question: When approaching a potential LOR writer, is it more or less convenient when a student asks you to highlight a particular set of their skills? (For example, if I asked one professor to write emphasizing my passion for the field, one employer to emphasize my work ethic, and the research advisor to emphasize my initiative, would this be inappropriate/overstepping my boundaries, or would it be helpful to the writers to have a place to start?)

Thank you AudioEngineer and TheEarDoc! This is very helpful information.

AudioEngineer: May I ask which types of references you asked instead of you professors? Were they all employers?

TheEarDoc: Thank you for the valuable perspective! I have a follow up question: When approaching a potential LOR writer, is it more or less convenient when a student asks you to highlight a particular set of their skills? (For example, if I asked one professor to write emphasizing my passion for the field, one employer to emphasize my work ethic, and the research advisor to emphasize my initiative, would this be inappropriate/overstepping my boundaries, or would it be helpful to the writers to have a place to start?)

Depends on how well you know the person and if they've written letters before.

Most people if they know you well enough to write a good LOR for you will know what key elements to hit with you depending on the role they have had (audiologist would highlight your clinical skills or strengths that would make you a good clinician, etc.).

Some might take offense to it.