LOR Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prankster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this year for residency and sent in my ERAS application yesterday. Then, I was reviewing the status of my applications and it turns out one of the letters were never uploaded to ERAS. Either it was never sent in by the letter writer or was never uploaded by the school. Anyways, I have another physician I've rotated with who is willing to write me a LOR. Would it be possible to go back into ERAS and remove the missing LOR from the program list (I know I cannot remove a letter writer from ERAS once finalized, but I at least don't want it listed for the programs since it's not available)? In other words, I would just like to remove the missing LOR from each program I applied to and add another letter writer by finalizing another LOR...is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Why not just check w/ the first letter writer and see if they wrote and sent it in and if not, why not? It generally (assuming you're not using ECFMG) takes 10-15 business days for a letter to go from the person writing it to ERAS. Add another month or so if you have to use ECFMG.

The answer to your question is, yes, you can do that.

All you have to do is de-assign that letter from all the programs you assigned it to, and assign another. If the letter was never scanned in, the programs will never know.

Yes, as noted above you can do it.

But perhaps at gutonc notes, you are underestimating the amount of time it takes to upload these things at this time of the year. I'd check with the first letter writer and my school to see if the letter was received, because starting from scratch with a new letter writer is bound to take just as long, if not longer to get that letter written, sent it and uploaded.