LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of my attendings keep asking me how to write my LOR, and I have no idea what to say. Should I have them just write a great LOR that is general? E.g. "Medicinemike is great, blah blah, he will be an excellent fit in wherever he ends up?"

Or, should they all be radiology specific? E.g. "Medicinemike is awesome, blah blah, he will make a great Radiology resident?"

These LORs will be from 3rd yr clerkships and 4th yr electives

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking if you should get general LORs, which might also be used for, let's say, an internship application or another specialty? Or do your authors just not know how to write a LOR?

Are you asking if you should get general LORs, which might also be used for, let's say, an internship application or another specialty? Or do your authors just not know how to write a LOR?

No, I am just trying to figure our what to tell them. For instance, a surgeon from my GS rotation is writing me a letter. Should it be general or radiology specific?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, all this really tells me is that this surgeon doesn't really know how to write a LOR. Even a "radiology specific" LOR from a surgeon should contain very little about radiology. As in, the last sentence of the letter should say something like, "I have no doubt that MedicineMike will excel as a radiology resident." or "MedicineMike clearly demonstrates the skills to exceed at the next level of his radiology training." Briefly, the LOR should be about 1) how the surgeon knows you/in what capacity you worked together and 2) your good qualities and how they'll translate to residency (giving specifics here to demonstrate broader points is ideal).

If it's from a radiology attending, have them mention that they're trying to actively recruit you and hope that you stay. Nothing is a higher recommendation than that, IMO.