LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sami1371

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am hoping to get some advise regarding my letters of recommendation for my application this cycle. Since last cycle when I didn't get accepted, I have been volunteering and doing other things to strengthen my application and gain some experience. During the last cycle, my LORs were:
1. Science professor
2. Non-science professor
3. Science lab TA, co-signed by professor who is the head of labs
4. Physician Shadowed, head of radiology department at a famous hospital
5. Head professor of research group which I was a part of for 1 year. In this group I was part of a publication and wrote a thesis for graduating with honors as well.

Since last year, I've been volunteering at a free clinic where I got to know the medical coordinator well. I asked her for a recommendation letter and she said she would write me a good one. So now I have a 6th letter which is written by someone who knows me well and can write well about me.

Out of my old letters, I have to keep the first 3 as a requirement, but now I have to get rid of one of the last two to make room for her letter. I don't really know how well those letters are written because neither of the authors knew me well. Which one do you think would be best to get rid of, or should I just keep them and not include the one from the medical coordinator?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Adcome seem prefer to have someone you took an actual course with. I would suggest that the if you need to get rid of one, the Physician shadowing one is the drop. However, why are you having a self imposed-5 letter limit. You can have up to 10 letters on file in AMCAS and have them tailored to be sent to schools individually. AACOMAS has just changed their system and I believe you cant do that thru their own system but you can via interfolio. TMDSAS I am not that familiar with
Thank you for the reply! I remembered last cycle when applying to MD, the majority of schools only wanted 5 letters and that's why I was trying to just get rid of one. I'll probably go ahead and have them all in AMCAS like you said though, just to be safe. I will be applying to DO schools this cycle too but have no idea how that application works. I guess I'll find out soon. I was thinking of not using the physician shadowing one too though. That seems to not be too important unless its a DO physician for AACOMAS.