LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedneuro6894

Reaction score
Trying to decide who I ask for LORs. I graduated college in 2022 just as background info. As of now, I have a committee letter, my college football coach, and the physician who runs the primary care office I work at writing for me. I think 1 or 2 more would be a good idea. In the past I've had my research mentor write a letter, but I did that internship back in 2021. Is that too long ago? If so, is the three enough, should I have another physician at the primary care office write me a letter, or do I try and get someone who I shadowed?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would try to get at least one more, specifically by the research mentor if you are interested in applying to research-heavy schools. It's always better to have more, as you can select which schools receive which. Another physician letter from the same office will not be of much use unless you know they will write a letter that really differs from the other LOR. Getting a letter from someone you shadowed could also be beneficial if you know they will speak highly of you using qualities that may not be mentioned in other LORs. If you don't think they would mention anything different, then it's not worth it. Quality over quantity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The committee letter generally covers the requirements for admissions so I don't see a need to add more letters beyond what is necessary

Reactions: 3 users
You do not need any more letters beyond the committee letter.

Quantity is not quality. I presume you have additional perspectives in your committee letter. What advice have you gotten from them?
I went to a small school that doesn't have a good advising program so my advisor doesn't really know what the right answer is.
You do not need any more letters beyond the committee letter.
The committee letter generally covers the requirements for admissions so I don't see a need to add more letters beyond what is necessary
So are you guys saying I should not have any letters besides the committee letter? I do know the committee gave me their highest recommendation, but I was under the impression that having a couple more letters from ECs was encouraged.

I've gotten official confirmation from the physician I work with, my old research mentor, and football coach that they will write letters. I can always simply not send them if it's better to just do the committee, I'm just not sure what is best.

I can always simply not send them if it's better to just do the committee, I'm just not sure what is best.

A committee letter is sufficient. You should only consider adding a "physician" letter for DO schools (especially if they are a DO!).

There is only one MD school that I know of (Utah) that does not prefer a committee letter. Even Utah will consider the committee letter as one of the 3 they accept.

Reactions: 1 users
You might consider getting a letter from someone connected to one of the activities you indicate as your most meaningful. Helps connect the dots in the application narrative.

• Dislike
You might consider getting a letter from someone connected to one of the activities you indicate as your most meaningful. Helps connect the dots in the application narrative.
Letters from people involved with your activities almost never move the needle. The exception would be the PI of a research project.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to a small school that doesn't have a good advising program so my advisor doesn't really know what the right answer is.

So are you guys saying I should not have any letters besides the committee letter? I do know the committee gave me their highest recommendation, but I was under the impression that having a couple more letters from ECs was encouraged.

I've gotten official confirmation from the physician I work with, my old research mentor, and football coach that they will write letters. I can always simply not send them if it's better to just do the committee, I'm just not sure what is best.
Other anxious pre meds probably encourage you to send extra letters. As an application reviewer, there is almost nothing that annoys me more than having more letters to slog through after I just got through a 10+ page committee letter. They rarely add much anyway.

Reactions: 2 users