LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esmitherton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how exactly I can fulfill the LOR requirements for most schools. I'm very confused about the whole process and have a few dumb questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

1) Is it OK if one letter comes from a science professor that you worked for in lab, even though you were never technically one of his students?

2) What's the policy on sending additional letters?

3) Does it matter if the letter is recent but you took the professor's class 3 years ago, or do the letter AND class both need to be recent?

4) When is a good time to start asking for letters, assuming I hope to apply in June?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to figure out how exactly I can fulfill the LOR requirements for most schools. I'm very confused about the whole process and have a few dumb questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with.

1) Is it OK if one letter comes from a science professor that you worked for in lab, even though you were never technically one of his students?

2) What's the policy on sending additional letters?

3) Does it matter if the letter is recent but you took the professor's class 3 years ago, or do the letter AND class both need to be recent?

4) When is a good time to start asking for letters, assuming I hope to apply in June?

Thank you so much!

1) Almost every school with that req asks for a science prof who has taught you, so that wouldn't work for that req. You could still get a letter, but you would still need a basic science prof letter

2) Each school is different. Usually will tell you on their website, the CIB, or contact them.

3)just the letter needs to be recent. And if the letter is old, you can also just have the author re-sign it and it becomes good again.

4) As early as possible. Now if you haven't yet already

:thumbup:

3 & 4

I don't think your letter AND the class need to be recent. I think your letter has be recent though.

But if your nontrad applicant, you might want to check with the schools you want to apply to

Also, for asking letters.. I think the earlier the better b/c you would want to give ample time to your

professors to write LOR.. i heard usually it takes about a month to get LOR