LOR thank you note question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateyoho

Mizzou c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in sending thank-you notes to the people who wrote me letters of recommendation, especially since most of them this time were professors with whom I am really close. Because I am close to these professors, I'd really like to also offer an update in the thank-you letters letting them know about my acceptance and decision to attend Mizzou for vet school. However, while this works just fine for the ones who wrote me eLORs for the VMCAS, I'm a bit stuck on how to include this for the professors who wrote me LORs for my SOPHAS application (I also applied to graduate schools of public health this year). I'd like to let them know about my future plans without also sounding like, "Thanks for writing me a letter, but it ended up not mattering because I'm not pursuing that path anymore." Thoughts? Suggestions? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe the best way to go about it would be to also talk about whether or not you were offered admission to your graduate schools. Just because you decided to go to Mizzou didn't mean that the letters ended up not mattering. Stating tactfully that you had a few admission offers to programs and ended up choosing the college of veterinary medicine should sound like their letters didn't matter at all. State that you genuinely appreciate their letters and had a lot of opportunities to choose from--the update can come in the paragraph after the more traditional thank you letter.

I guess it varies by person, but were I in their position I wouldn't see it terribly much as "my contribution didn't matter" as long as the person thanking me seemed genuinely thankful. After all, I think it's still good to write thank-yous to an evaluator even if you're ultimately rejected. The person still took time away from other obligations to write in your support. You're thanking them for the time and effort just as much as you're thanking them for a contribution that aided in your admission to a program.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a bit stuck on how to include this for the professors who wrote me LORs for my SOPHAS application (I also applied to graduate schools of public health this year). I'd like to let them know about my future plans without also sounding like, "Thanks for writing me a letter, but it ended up not mattering because I'm not pursuing that path anymore." Thoughts? Suggestions? :shrug:

I don't think it sounds at all bad to tell them you chose vet school over the other program. Just say that you really appreciated their contribution to their application but you decided to pursue vet school. If you're that close with them, they'll just be happy to know what you decided.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just because you decided to go to Mizzou didn't mean that the letters ended up not mattering. Stating tactfully that you had a few admission offers to programs and ended up choosing the college of veterinary medicine should sound like their letters didn't matter at all. State that you genuinely appreciate their letters and had a lot of opportunities to choose from--the update can come in the paragraph after the more traditional thank you letter.

Yeah, this is sort of how I was structuring it. I was just so paranoid that it sounded like I was making their contribution seem insignificant, which is just not how I feel at all lol! Of course, they've all heard through the grapevine about my acceptance anyway (I go to a very small school), so I don't know why I'm so worried about it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is sort of how I was structuring it. I was just so paranoid that it sounded like I was making their contribution seem insignificant, which is just not how I feel at all lol! Of course, they've all heard through the grapevine about my acceptance anyway (I go to a very small school), so I don't know why I'm so worried about it. :rolleyes:
Try not to stress out so much! Like it was said before, if you're close to your professors they're going to be happy to hear about your success.