LOR...Where to get..Community College..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caseys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think LOR from CC professors would be impressive....what should I do if I plan to attend community college? I am trying to work as a Tech before I apply, maybe LOR from retail Pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

It could be just fine if you pick a good professor. I used a community college professor. Just pick one that you know writes well. A science professor is probably best.

I gave mine a heads up early on that I was hoping to apply to pharmacy school and wanted to use them as a reference. This helped them notice my work more throughout the year so they could speak to it in their recommendation.

In some ways, community college professors are better letter writers as they often have the time to get to know the students more personally and can address this in their letters.

I used a LOR from a community college professor myself. She knew me personally and I made a good impression on her when I took the class. Even though I hadn't talked to her in 4 years, she still remembered me. I believe a quality LOR speaks wonders and you would be surprised that some of your CC classes give you the advantage of smaller class sizes so you get a chance to be noticed. The only reason why I was able to get a LOR from my university which I later transferred to was because I took a summer lab class that had only 20 students. I had no hope for my other classes and office hours were difficult to attend or flooded with students. Good luck!

A letter from your pharmacist is required and if your school doesn't happen to require one, it will most definitely look good on your application if you can get a good LOR as a bonus.

Members don't see this ad :)
CC lor is better IMO. They actually will know you.

You're going to need 2-3 LOR typically. A CC professor is fine. Perform well in the class of the professor you would like one from, and most of the time they'll love to write you one. A pharmacist is always a good person to get a LOR from too. The longer you work with one, the better. They'll know you more and the letter will be more personal.

I got 2 from a pharmacist and 1 from a community college professor. Some schools require one from a science teacher or one from a pharmacist, so it's good to have all your bases covered. I graduated from a 4 year college, but got my LOR from a CC teacher because they were more recent (I don't know if my teachers really remembered me after a year). I think a good letter is a good letter :)

I went to a big name university and a CC. My LOR was from a CC prof. I chose the CC prof because it was more recent and I felt I had a closer relationship with the professor due to the smaller class size.

The content of the letter is the most important factor, so it really doesn't matter if you get it from a CC or a uni prof. Pick one that you feel knows you and will write you a good letter.