LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awol21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a letter of recommendation from a Neuroscience professor considered "science" or "non-science"?

Neuroscience is definitely a scientific subject but I ask bc according to SDN,
"A 'science' letter refers to the BCPM category (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math). A 'non-science' letters refers to a class that falls outside of the BCPM category, typically humanities, social science or arts."

Does neuroscience fall into the BCPM category?
The course is classfied as Neuroscience (ex. NSC ####) at my school.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro courses are filed under "biology" in the BCPM categorization used by AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
In that vein, what about pharmacology? Pharmacology is classified as an "allied health science" and outside of BCPM, but if I had a pharm prof write a letter, that would really be my "non-science" LOR?

Is a letter of recommendation from a Neuroscience professor considered "science" or "non-science"?

Neuroscience is definitely a scientific subject but I ask bc according to SDN,
"A 'science' letter refers to the BCPM category (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math). A 'non-science' letters refers to a class that falls outside of the BCPM category, typically humanities, social science or arts."

Does neuroscience fall into the BCPM category?
The course is classfied as Neuroscience (ex. NSC ####) at my school.

Thank you.

Nope sorry dude. Your class of interest actually has to have two instances of the word 'science' in the name. So neurosciencescience would be okay but neuroscience? clearly not an appropriate science class.
Good luck. :D

Reactions: 1 user
In that vein, what about pharmacology? Pharmacology is classified as an "allied health science" and outside of BCPM, but if I had a pharm prof write a letter, that would really be my "non-science" LOR?

Depending on the content of the course, I would be surprised if pharmacology wasn't considered a BCPM course, particularly if your university classifies it as a biology or chemistry course.