LORs for SMPs question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C5b6789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've collected my materials to ask my LOR writers, but I have some questions.

1. Is it ok to ask each writer for a single letter addressed to SMPs in general? Or is it necessary for each letter to be directed towards a specific program?

2. If they just write one letter that gets sent to all of the programs, is "Special Masters Programs" the correct term they should use in their letters? I remember using this term in my discussion with an admissions counselor from OUWB and she had no idea what I was talking about. Would "master's programs" be more appropriate since the programs aren't all the same in terms of linkage? I'm worried about the letters calling it the wrong thing since these programs aren't the traditional type of master's programs.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be asking people to recommend you for med school. SMPs want to see your med school LORs. You should be using the same letters when you apply to med school.

Use a letter service such as Interfolio so that your recommenders only have to submit once.

Best of luck to you.

You need to be asking people to recommend you for med school. SMPs want to see your med school LORs. You should be using the same letters when you apply to med school.

Use a letter service such as Interfolio so that your recommenders only have to submit once.

Best of luck to you.

Are DO-affiliated SMPs different? The websites I'm looking at say that letters of recommendation are not transferrable between programs (i.e. their DO school to the SMP), and explicitly state that the program requires a separate set of letters...am I reading this wrong?

I do have Interfolio ready for submitting my letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Separate letters" means that if you are concurrently applying to the DO program and a grad program, you have to send 2 sets of letters. The programs do not share the letters. Two separate admissions offices.

This has nothing to do with the content of the letters. Even if the grad program has guidelines for letters, if the program is for pre-DO academic enhancement, send med school recommendations.

Call & confirm if it's not clear.

"Separate letters" means that if you are concurrently applying to the DO program and a grad program, you have to send 2 sets of letters. The programs do not share the letters. Two separate admissions offices.

This has nothing to do with the content of the letters. Even if the grad program has guidelines for letters, if the program is for pre-DO academic enhancement, send med school recommendations.

Call & confirm if it's not clear.

Thanks for your clarification.

I called one program on Friday and was told that the SMP does not want to read LORs that are med school recommendations. She said it was because they want to select students who make an effort to get another letter specifically written for entrance into the SMP. It seems odd to me though, since med school is the end goal. I guess I'll keep calling this week to see what other programs say.

It seems odd to me though, since med school is the end goal.
I'd call it obnoxious. Premeds have to produce 3-5 letters for med school, so having to do SMP-specific letters effectively means you have to overburden your letter writers.

If the program is attached to a med school you want to attend, fine, pony up. Otherwise move on.