LORs for summer internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedlyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm looking at summer internship/research listings online now and most of them require LORs. Do people typically ask their professors to send out one LOR to several different programs or do they ask different professors and TAs to write LORs? (so that the letter writer is not sending the same LOR to different programs)

Also, are these programs typically rolling admissions or would I have to call/ email them to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally the former. Depends on how well you get on with them. If you're not comfortable enough to ask them to send 2-3 letters with slight alterations (naming the specific program, etc) then your relationship is probably not that strong, and you run the risk of having a weak letter. You can also let them know that you're applying to different programs and to therefore keep it general.

Admissions questions are probably addressed on the FAQs of the site. I don't believe those type of programs are generally rolling admissions but you'd have to look.

Generally the former. Depends on how well you get on with them. If you're not comfortable enough to ask them to send 2-3 letters with slight alterations (naming the specific program, etc) then your relationship is probably not that strong, and you run the risk of having a weak letter. You can also let them know that you're applying to different programs and to therefore keep it general.

Admissions questions are probably addressed on the FAQs of the site. I don't believe those type of programs are generally rolling admissions but you'd have to look.

Okay, thanks for your help! :love: