LORs from MD or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomStudent9876

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologize first of all if this is posted somewhere else, I made the honest effort to look for it but couldn't find it.

How do podiatry schools feel about LORs from MDs and DOs? Would it help your application at all to include strong letters from them, or should you just include Podiatry letters. I have LORs from Professors from school as well as 1 LOR from a Podiatry, but I was just wondering if including my DO/MD LORs would help my application at all

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that including letters from MD's and DO's couldn't hurt you in the least bit, but it's a letter from a Podiatrist that most schools will truly care about. It shows that you took the time to get to know the profession and have some understanding of what it entails. If you already have a Podiatrist LOR then go ahead and include the others with it.

Apologize first of all if this is posted somewhere else, I made the honest effort to look for it but couldn't find it.

How do podiatry schools feel about LORs from MDs and DOs? Would it help your application at all to include strong letters from them, or should you just include Podiatry letters. I have LORs from Professors from school as well as 1 LOR from a Podiatry, but I was just wondering if including my DO/MD LORs would help my application at all
Although, it could prompt your interviewers to ask you why you chose to go for DPM rather than MD/DO. So I would just prepare for that possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)

Only place I interviewed was DMU and got in. I had letters from my college advisor PhD, clinical PhDs I did research with, an MD and my DPM letter. They only required advisor and DPM. I'm sure it helped but they never once told me those really did anything extra for me. I guess as long as you know they're going to be good, quality letters it can't hurt to have a few extras.

As I have interviewed at 3 schools there is a resounding question that is asked to potential Podiatry students; "why podiatry and not DO or MD?". I would be very careful about including a letter from a DO or MD. Be very prepared to answer that question with a strong response if you decide to submit DO/MD LOR. Personally I didn't want to play with fire so I only included Podiatrist LOR, but that's just me. GOOD LUCK!

As I have interviewed at 3 schools there is a resounding question that is asked to potential Podiatry students; "why podiatry and not DO or MD?". I would be very careful about including a letter from a DO or MD. Be very prepared to answer that question with a strong response if you decide to submit DO/MD LOR. Personally I didn't want to play with fire so I only included Podiatrist LOR, but that's just me. GOOD LUCK!
I think you really need to just look at your situation. If you're working in research in a large hospital system like I have they wouldn't question why you included a letter from an MD you worked for. If its a random DO/MD letter from just someone you shadowed, yeah it could come into question why podiatry. Again though, they'll be able to know if you've applied to DO/MD schools as well, as long as you were honest on your application.

My LORs were only from MDs and PhDs. This was not an issue at all for my interviewers (was never even mentioned). I'd submit the other LORs as well - more people saying good things about you would unlikely be a detriment.