LOR's (Letters of Recommendations)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooSuga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, in terms of LOR's (Letters of recommendations) I know that many people get it from their clinics, volunteer organization, teachers, etc.

But what types of LOR's makes a candidate unique or stand out from the rest? And also, would it make a difference if you got a LOR from the vet your shadowing vs. an alumni from that same vet school?

I'm guessing any pre-vet would obviously have at least 1 LOR from a verterinarian.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing any pre-vet would obviously have at least 1 LOR from a verterinarian.

It's a requirement for all vet schools I know of to have one letter of recommendation from a veterinarian. Some vet schools require 2 of the LORs be from vets.

It isn't particularly important who the letters are from, though like VAgirl said at least one will be from a vet. What is important is how well the people who write your LORs really know you. The type of LOR that will make you stand out will be one written by someone who truly knows how awesome you are. The adcoms are looking more at the content of the letter, not the name of the writer.

Here's a thread where people gave examples of who wrote their LORs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566460&highlight=who+wrote

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks I will look into that thread.

Quick questions, are you allowed to have more LOR's than the recommended?

The max VMCAS allows you to have is 5...the minimum is 3.

I got 4 eLORs and I know a couple of the schools I applied to said that they look at the first 3 and not the 4th (or 5th), so just know that if you get more than 3 (I'm still not sure if there is a magic number) some schools won't look at the extras.

I got 4 eLORs and I know a couple of the schools I applied to said that they look at the first 3 and not the 4th (or 5th), so just know that if you get more than 3 (I'm still not sure if there is a magic number) some schools won't look at the extras.

And you may also need to contact those schools to let them know which three are your preferred 3 for them to look at.

Personally I used my adviser in college, the owner (not a vet) of a veterinary clinic I worked for, and the head veterinarian of the clinic I worked for ( whom was also a alumni of the school I was applying). The schools I applied to only needed 3 LOR. That worked for me.

The most important thing is using people that have know you a long time, seen you use skills important to veterinarians, and of course trust you. Good Luck!

Also, I hope to be writing on this exact subject on my blog soon.

JOP21,

Great blog! Hope it runs smoothly for you. You have some some great stuff on your blog

In terms of LOR's I was thinking the supervisor/vet of the zoo where I volunteer at which is also part of the Wildlife Conservatory Society. The head veterinarian of the ASPCA in NYC and possibly my academic advisor OR places of where I have volunteered at.

You need to keep in mind that one rec has to b from an academic person. Either an advisor or a professor who knows you well.

And when it comes to choosing vets for your recommendation make sure its one who lnows you the best as opposed to who you think might have the most impressive title. I know from your other post it sounds like you are involved with many groups, but does the head of the zoo or the aspca really know you that well that they can write an original and personal essay about what traits really make you unique and set you apart as an applicant?