LOR's: Timing and Number?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abruptio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completely understand that this topic has been beaten to death, but I wanted to get an opinion specific to my situation...My required ER rotation is scheduled in a month that will end up being too late to try and get an LOR from, so my remaining options are: 1)Change my schedule, which would be a hassle in that the change would make me have an hour commute each day for two of my months, but would allow me to potentially get 2 ER LOR (March and September) or 2)Leave it as is and only get one of my letters from an ER doc during September before ERAS is due. Ultimately, is having only one letter from an ER doc a problem or is that not much of an issue? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

One of the PD's here might have a more authoritative answer, but here's mine: while you obviously MUST have 1 letter from an EP, two would be better; but the MOST important thing is that the letters you do have are awesome. If this 2nd EP letter isn't going to be better than the non-EP letter it is replacing, then I don't think it is worth it.

Abruptio said:
I completely understand that this topic has been beaten to death, but I wanted to get an opinion specific to my situation...My required ER rotation is scheduled in a month that will end up being too late to try and get an LOR from, so my remaining options are: 1)Change my schedule, which would be a hassle in that the change would make me have an hour commute each day for two of my months, but would allow me to potentially get 2 ER LOR (March and September) or 2)Leave it as is and only get one of my letters from an ER doc during September before ERAS is due. Ultimately, is having only one letter from an ER doc a problem or is that not much of an issue? Thanks

Why not get two SLORs from the September month?

Members don't see this ad :)
BKN said:
Why not get two SLORs from the September month?

I'll completely show my ignorance on this one, but would I be working with enough attendings to warrant getting more than one letter in a month, and if so, would I work with one enough for them to get an idea of my strengths? Also, I was contemplating trying to do an away (not a given that the program would have room in Sept.) in September and look to get a LOR from that program then. Would that be risky, or would it be safer to stay home, get a good letter and then do an audition sometime in october-december?

Abruptio said:
I'll completely show my ignorance on this one, but would I be working with enough attendings to warrant getting more than one letter in a month, and if so, would I work with one enough for them to get an idea of my strengths? Also, I was contemplating trying to do an away (not a given that the program would have room in Sept.) in September and look to get a LOR from that program then. Would that be risky, or would it be safer to stay home, get a good letter and then do an audition sometime in october-december?
Well the program I got 2 letters from I got one from an attending I worked a bunch with and then one from the 4th yr program coordinator who was an attending I worked 2 shifts with. He basically put together all the evals I got and put it in my LOR.

Def the biggest challenge is working enough with someone to get a LOR. Shift work makes it tough..

i used SLORs for all three of my letters. From my away, i got one from the PD (whom i never worked with, but had a meeting) and one from an attending that i worked about 1/4 of my shifts with. from home, my letter was from my advisor (the asst PD) with whom i worked 3 shifts and had worked with previously on projects, EMIG, etc.

it's likely that you can get a letter from a PD or chair even if you don't work with them (they'll mostly go off of your meeting with them and evals from other fac/res). however, i know there are people out there that won't write a letter unless they work with you. BKN can probably let you know how common this is.

You need to have them by mid October at the latest. If you can get 4 SLORs then that's what you should do and they should be stellar. The best would be a residency chair who worked with you and writes a stellar letter. The low end of SLOR would be a community EP who does not teach. Non-SLOR can be used for filler if necessary but if you do that then you should have some really good SLORs.

This all depends on where you want to go and what the rest of your application looks like.

You should get 2 SLOR. One should be from the PD or assistant PD at your home program. Approach the person who schedules the shifts at the beginning of the month (or a month ahead of time) and see who you are working with. Switch with uninterested classmates so that you get at least 1 shift with the PD or assistant PD that you are targeting. If that person writes alot of letters that is even BETTER, just make sure you are one of the people he gives an excellent letter to. As far as rotation evals once interview season has begun if you rock a rotation ask if you can have interested programs contact someone you worked with. Chances are that the interested programs never will call but it is nice to be able to say at your interview that Dr. X PD at program Y said that if anyone had any questions about my Nov/Dec rotation then to just give him a call.

Good luck