LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for letter of recommendation when can you ask your professor or doctor you shadow to write a letter of recommendation. Because I will not be applying until 2-3 years, so I do not know how it all works. If I shadow now and ask later when applying the doctor might not write a strong LOR , as well with my professor I interact with my chem professor but come 2 years it will be different. Do you ask them to write them now or how is the timeframe, that is what I am confused about. Thank you for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Just giving an example of what I did. Not the simplest way to get a letter, but it worked for me.

So I really liked my biology professors I had freshman year(personality, teaching style, etc.). I went to them every semester to talk and keep in touch. Usually a half hour to hour talk per semester. They wrote me letters during my undergraduate years that got me internships and volunteer positions. One professor even set me up with two different jobs and I later worked for that professor my senior year(so her letter had some work depth also). When it came time to asking for a letter of recommendation from them I was confident it would be a strong letter that had the added benefit of the writers knowing me for four years versus one semester.

So you can only collect LORs when your applying or during that time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually you should ask a few months (earliest I did was 8 months) before you start applying / submit primary app (around June).

If you ask while applying, many professors/doctors are busy writing letters for other people applying as well, so there's a "waiting period."

When you submit your secondaries in July/August, your application won't be considered complete until your letters are in, so keep that in mind.