Losing hope, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdoc11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As a rising college senior, the medical school application process has been on my mind quite frequently within the past year. While I don't plan on graduating until late 2015/2016, I have been racking my brain for some reassurance that my efforts are not in vain.

For starters, I have always wanted to be a doctor; it's a dream I stubbornly refuse to give up so easily. I started my freshman year as a neuroscience major, but quickly squandered that opportunity. I was unhappy at my school and had a lot of problems adjusting, and I ended up transferring as a biology major/psych minor my sophomore year. Since then, my grades have risen significantly, until this summer when I got a C in organic chem II and physics and a D in the lab course (due to certain personal circumstances). I will be retaking the lab course this semester and using an academic amnesty policy to revoke the D. I currently have a 3.3 GPA, but if I keep an upward GPA trend until I graduate, I should be able to bring it up to at least a 3.5-3.6. I don't plan on taking the MCAT until my gap year when I have more time to dedicate myself to it, but assuming all goes well on that end, what are my chances? When should I apply, or should I even bother? OR should I pursue a master's degree first? HELP!

I should also mention that I have worked in a hospital for years as a medical scribe, if that would help to boost my application at all.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing you can do at this point is drop everything and study. Get your GPA up and you'll start to open doors. That's should be #1 right now for you

Reactions: 1 users
Master's don't matter for undergrad GPA. You can still get into a medical school with a 3.5/3.6,but check school's 10th percentile for GPA with the MSAR as that is under for some schools. You can also try DO because they do grade replacement.

Follow @ConfusedChemist 's advice and work on your GPA.
3.4-3.5 is okay as long as your MCAT is good. Check this out:
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Remember excellent stats ain't the only thing. Just makes sure you do not neglect LOR and ECs.

Definitely include medical scribe experience (it will be VERY good for clinical experience). If you don't have experience in research or community work, please do consider it as well. Also seek advice on your essays early (personal statement and secondary prompts) and you'll be snazzy.