lost and worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poctan81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am glad to be a part of this incredible network. This is my first post, so please be patient :)

I already have a BA from University of Maryland with GPA of 2.7. My original major was biology, so most of the required science course were taken. Problem is that their GPA is horrible. After graduating from the university and not knowing much about applying to dental school, I enrolled to community college and took the science courses again. After going to CC for a year, I earned GPA of 3.7 in all of the science courses. This is where my questioning begins.

Does earning GPA of 3.7 at community college help in applying to dental school considering my situation?

Am I too late for early admission considering I have not taken DAT yet?

Are recommendation letters from the university better than the ones from community college?

How important is dental experience when applying to dental school?

I am really worried and confused. I will appreciate any help from you can offer. Thanks in advence.

Members don't see this ad.

poctan81 said:
Hi, I am glad to be a part of this incredible network. This is my first post, so please be patient :)

I already have a BA from University of Maryland with GPA of 2.7. My original major was biology, so most of the required science course were taken. Problem is that their GPA is horrible. After graduating from the university and not knowing much about applying to dental school, I enrolled to community college and took the science courses again. After going to CC for a year, I earned GPA of 3.7 in all of the science courses. This is where my questioning begins.

Does earning GPA of 3.7 at community college help in applying to dental school considering my situation?

Am I too late for early admission considering I have not taken DAT yet?

Are recommendation letters from the university better than the ones from community college?

How important is dental experience when applying to dental school?

I am really worried and confused. I will appreciate any help from you can offer. Thanks in advence.

Early admission? Are you serious man? How easy do you guys think dental school is?? if you were doing bad in Undergrad what is going to change when you are taking 10x the load and in a shorter time span? I am sorry if i am rude man but come on. I bet you and many others like you who just decided over night that they wanted to become a dentist maybe because Med school is so out of reach or pharmacy school doesnt pay as much. You are done with college and now you are asking such questions which can be answered by one click onto the ADEA website. Sad cases I swear.

oh and welcome to the network. ;) I am not trying to be rude although I am sure I was but sometimes its hard to not be honest about apparent things.

most dental schools don't seriously consider community college credits, especially if you have had the opportunity to take these courses in a 4 year institution. You won't have a legit shot unless you do extremely well on the DAT's. As far as dental experience, it's almost an unwritten requirement, so call up a dentist, ask if you can dental shadow as much as possible.If you are serious about applying to dental schools, you need to have shadowing experience.

by the way, bental, your stats are sick.

yes bental, yourstats are definitely gnar.