Lost my first patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagochildpsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I lost my first patient to suicide. ( the first who completed) A young lady I really liked. Just devastated....
Anyone been through this before? How did you cope?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Sadly it is the reality of our field.It is similar to process of grief from my experience.Process it with a mentor, that's what helped me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I lost a patient last month, and one about a year and a half ago. I have some high risk patients now. I cope with family and friend support, some collegial support so far. It really helped me to reach out to the family of the patients, and send some flowers to the funeral or attend the funeral home memorial. So far the families have been really cool and appreciative and it gave me a chance to keep helping a little. Hearing a patient's family say you did everything you could helps a lot. This is another reason it's really important to involve the patient's family in the treatment plan if the patient allows it.

Reactions: 4 users
http://www.healio.com/journals/psycann/2007-10-37-10/{eaea2c9e-57a5-4439-a30e-851d47ff8405}/aftermath-of-a-tragedy-reaction-of-psychiatrists-to-patient-suicides

I have seen this author. He starts his lecture describing two types of psychiatrists, the ones who have lost a patient to suicide, and they ones that haven't yet lost a patient to suicide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24664605

Don't isolate, process with associates and mentors. I have seen world leaders in the field question their competence after an event like this.

Hang in there.

I helped make the video in the article you cite. Quite moving to hear experts like Gabbard and Jim Lomax talk about their own experiences. It can happen to any of us.

Reactions: 1 users
I lost my first patient to suicide. ( the first who completed) A young lady I really liked. Just devastated....

:(

Don't accept it as failure. Keep moving and keep doing your best.

Reactions: 1 user

I have lost a patient to suicide and it was difficult, but it was not a young one that I really liked. During intense sessions with strong rapport, I have told a couple of those types of kids that if they were to die, it would haunt me the rest of my life. I imagine if or when it does happen, I will cope through prayer, tears, and leaning on my wife which is how I always cope when things are just too much for me. I also try to remember that the pain and the sadness is the sign that I care and I feel and ultimately its worth it to hurt because I would rather care than not care and feel than not feel.

I know that I still second guess my handling of the patient who completed suicide every time I think about it. Maybe I should have seen the ten or so serious risk factors and done something. Actually I did see them and I did do something, but maybe I should have done this or maybe I should have done that and what was the hospital thinking when they discharged him anyway and I should have fought them and made them take him back. Maybe I should have called his family and maybe... Eventually, I just go back to work and there is always the next patient who needs me present and caring.

There's nothing I can really add, I just wanted to say how sorry I am. Be kind to yourself.
2zpqued.jpg

Really sorry to hear about that :(. You obviously know the statistics around teens and suicide, but I often have to stare back and marvel at how high the rate is and how often it will be part of a CAP life. I would try and remind myself about all the kids who you have helped. I am sure there have already been some that while you will never know it, you were directly responsible for saving his/her life.

You will lose a patient to suicide. I've lost a few. It will happen. I was able to sleep at night cause in all the cases where it happened I knew it was going to happen and did what I was supposed to do to stop it. Even then I felt the real feeling of a weight on my chest and was mad at myself.
Now it wasn't my fault so yes, my logical side eventually won out and convinced my emotional side to shut up, but point is I still went through a month where I still felt real bad about what happened and emotionally but not intellectually blamed myself.

Reactions: 1 users
This post was from over a year ago, I hope the OP found closure. Like many said it's unfortunately part of the territory of psychiatry. I actually haven't had a patient commit suicide, but I had something equally (perhaps more) horrible occur in residency. I did residency at the VA and one of my patients had extremely severe PTSD and was poorly compliant with treatment. He was lost to f/u for many months and then I learned he murdered two of his neighbours in what sounds like a psychotic episode related to PTSD. He heard banging in his next door apartment, and claims he felt like he was back in Iraq and was under attack, and shot and killed his neighbours. The worst part was that he had previously been on a 5150 (California 72 hour hold) and was supposed to be under the 5 year firearms prohibition in California, but it was not enforced. I feel horrible about what happened, but we aren't gods, we can't stop everything all the time.