Lots of Obstacles, Am I A Lost Cause For Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jctkay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been to multiple colleges throughout my life. I am a nontraditional student (almost 30 years old) and am married, and have a little boy. My husband is very encouraging and supportive. I’m just not sure that I will ever be accepted into medical school. This past January I decided to take a break from school because of life circumstances. I planned to go back, but I found out I am on academic probation because I didn’t unenroll correctly. It really screwed me over because now I owe the school a little over $6,000. I planned to go back to school this Spring (the university requires those on academic probation to skip going to school for a semester but can come back after that as long as you have a 2.5+ GPA).
I read somewhere that medical schools will see transcripts from each college you’ve attended, so I am assuming it wouldn’t be good to switch schools. I don’t want to add another one under my belt. I am hoping to start from square one and do whatever I need to do to be back in good standing.
Is there too much going on to even consider medical school anymore? Do I need to be realistic and do something different?

Members don't see this ad.

We'll probably need more information here. How many schools? What is your GPA? Major(s)?

Schools want to know if you can thrive while handling difficult material (think getting good grades during a semester with Ochem, Physics, and some upper level science courses). I realize it may sound a bit melodramatic, but the first two years of med school are for the most part an academic gauntlet. All other things equal, I know if I was on an adcom and I had an applicant with all As but took 1 or two tough classes a semester vs someone with all As and a B or two but took all their difficult classes around the same time/semester, I would have more confidence in the latter applicant. It's not to say the former wouldn't succeed, but seeing the record of the latter applicant makes me think they can handle a bunch of tough stuff at the same time and still thrive.

While doing piece by piece isn't necessarily a deal breaker (as long as you have a good GPA), it's best to stay at one place and knock everything out at nearly the same time. Also, this approach is likely better to give you the best chance of a successful MCAT.

Last edited: