Lots of older prep material (concern?), please advise on timeline/structure. I only have one shot.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceMyshkin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Re-taker here, but 6 years removed from last MCAT (25) and pre-reqs. I still have all my old study material, and I've read the 30+ habits for hours and hours, but I'm still not confident as to what material might be outdated and what I should focus on to build a study schedule. I'm very fuzzy on content but I have 5-6 days a week to focus entirely on MCAT, and I am scheduled for January, so I am all-in. My GPA is good (although it's older now), and my work experience in the past 6 years is all clinical-related. The MCAT is the make-or-break part of my app now. So much depends on this test and I have 4 months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I have all of EK's content books (VR/Bio/Chem/O-chem) 2005 Edition. These are what I used to study for my first MCAT years ago, but now I get the impression that they're too sparse on content to make them my primary source of info.

-I have all of Kaplans content books (VR/Bio/Chem/O-Chem). I like these, but SDN doesn't seem too keen on them. 2009 Edition with Scientific American

-I purchased TPR Physical Sciences Review (based on many people praising it on these forums, and I do love how the material is presented.) But I am curious if it's dated as it's the *2003 Edition* (the seller on Amazon listed it under a new edition >.< )

-I have the entire 1001 EK series, which I'll try to use as much as possible, although Bio 1001 doesn't seem to be popular on these forums. I'm a little bummed because I had planned on focusing on the 1001 Bio passages as the MCAT has apparently become much closer to VR than in previous years. 2005 Edition

-I just ordered TPR MCAT Biology Review (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0375427929/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item) because apparently not many people on these forums vouch for EK or Kaplan's bio. It's supposed to be the 2010 Edition, and I hope it's the same book people on here are praising. If it is, I'll make this my primary source for bio.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on reviews from these forums, I'll probably use Chad's vids with TPR PS (2003 edition good enough?) for Chemistry.

I'll probably use Chad's vids for O-Chem, but I want to know what you all recommend for the primary book to use.

I'll probably use Wikipremed videos and flashcards with TPR PS (old edition... if you guys think it's good enough) for Physics.

I'll probably use Wikipremed videos (?) and the TPR MCAT Bio book that I just ordered (hoping I ordered the one that so many refer to on these forums) for biology.

For VR, I had planned on using the 101 book, but I don't know what I'll use after I run out of those passages. Can someone advise me on a good source of more passages?

I am still not sure how I should approach making a schedule. I have been studying two days straight before I realized that I should consult you guys, as my approach is very scattered. Is 2 months of solid content review and 2 months of practice tests/questions a solid plan? (Remember I'm fuzzy as I graduated 6 years ago, but I did well in undergrad in all the pre-reqs.)

I have 4 months to make this work and I will dedicate everything I have to this. I know some will recommend BR for some content, but I can't afford them and it might be too late to order them anyway. I am desperate for advice though, as I'm no genius--just a hard-worker who is not as confident as I would like to be. Thank you for any help you are able to give.

Members don't see this ad.

Use TBR, you can find them online...even though I don't suggest that. Everyone should have an equal opportunity to learn but I also under the flip side of getting the books for free. Not encouraging piracy but it's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be able to find them in PDF format, and I hadn't considered the piracy route (even though I'm a complete noob when it comes to finding torrented stuff, if that's what you mean). Aside from the ethical ordeal, I just don't know how easy it might be to study off of crooked-scanned PDF pages for books as dense as TBR are supposed to be. Plus, I've already purchased all of these older materials and I was really hoping that they'd still be useful.

And the reason I have 5-6 days/week to study is because I'm taking time off work, so my funds are very tight for now. TBR books are super expensive on Amazon. Anyway, I appreciate your advice.

Your application seems pretty competitive. Most materials don't really age that much and some change very little so if you have some old materials, you may just keep them and supplement them with a few newer pieces. Just take the MCAT when you are fully ready (AAMC full-length tests will tell you). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are truly concerned then I think you can completely ameliorate your situation with buying new, or even used, TBR books. Case closed.
But, if money is a bit of an issue (or you just don't feel like shelling out any more) then I think what you have will suffice if you use it as a cohesive unit and intelligently. I would use TPR for you content and practice (I'd advise buying the PR science workbook), use EK for mild practice as a way to change up the style/language of questions you see, and then external sources to really hammer in what you've learned and close those content gaps (this means Chad's videos, Khan Academy, notecards, MCAT question a day, etc.).

Good luck with studying!!

If you're going to use TBR and have the money, you should definitely buy the physical book. It's hard enough to go through TBR with the book (I'm constantly flipping through pages). Doing it with scanned (illegal) TBR pdfs would be a nightmare.

Thanks for the well wishes. I know TBR is popular (I'm guessing mostly because of SN2 and the passages), but I was just hoping that the material I have would cover the same bases, as I really am cutting finances too close for comfort already. I do want the best possible setup though, I can't screw this up. What's strange is how hyped EK was when I took the test several years ago, but now it's apparently fallen out of favor. I'll keep checking my content with AAMC's list of topics as I study, because I have a feeling this is going to be hard to sort for a while. I just hope I can finish content in time to get plenty of passages in (which is another concern, because I used the AAMC's for studying 6 years ago... although I will try to use them again because my post-game analysis was pretty crappy last time).

When people talk about TPR Science Workbook, is this the one with 1k pages? I already have the TPR PS book (hopefully the 2003 edition is fine), and I just ordered TPR Bio 2010 (hopefully it's the same one people on these forums love). I suppose the passages (if there are plenty) would be helpful, but if it's mostly content I don't really see a point in adding that to my stack of books haha.
I've seen a few people recommend TPR Verbal for passages, but there are several different editions and I don't know which particular one people are recommending for passage practice.

TPR science workbook (I'm not sure of the exact number of pages, but it is quite large) is solely composed of practice passages and discretes. It is a vast and wonderful resource.

I just ordered the TPR Science Workbook (although it's a 2005 edition, I just read on these forums that the passages are roughly the same as newer editions). Thanks for the recommendation!