Loupes recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princeafrica

Endo Resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys recommend 3.5x for loupes or 4.5x? A D1 recommended I start off with 3.5x while an international student dentist currently in D4 recommended 4.5x to start

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
your D1 saying to "start off" with 3.5 makes it sound like they would be planning on upgrading later. I read a few of old threads before picking loupes that basically all concluded that if you might buy another pair later, why not just get the better pair now? That you have to "get used" to magnification before going up is a total myth, and I'm sure it's propagated by sales reps, because they're hoping you'll buy a 2.5x now, then get a 3.5 before you graduate and lose your discount. You might feel like you're taking advantage of your discount, but they're just glad they got you to buy 2 pairs of loupes haha.

That being said, some people like Big Hoss and a lot of faculty at my school are totally happy with using 2.5x for their whole career. Others like me and anyone in my class that got high-mag absolutely love 4x+, I don't think anyone regrets going high mag. To me, loupes are an important tool for a specialized job, so it's one of the few things you shouldn't worry about spending a lot of money on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started out with a 3.0x but then just got tired of not being able to see what I wanted to see and upgraded to 5.5x. I have never regretted that decision. I have used these for every type of procedure I have ever done although I don't use them every time. I used them for prophies back in school, even.

The increased mag definitely limits your field of vision, but I haven't found that to be a handicap in the vast majority of cases. It just helps everything being able to see clearly. You can better adjust the angle of your bur, see overhangs, margins, etc. I think high mag is the only way to go and I eventually plan to get a microscope at least for endo, possibly more.

Reactions: 1 users
4.5-5.5 or bust.

3.5 expanded for fill and drill.

2.x is to small

4.x + is good but you end up dilly-dallying around on little things that don't matter. I would only go up for 4.x+ if you end up doing surgicals/root canals...which I don't do anymore. I refer all those out.

For reference, I have 2.x and 3.5 expanded.

Reactions: 2 users
I started out with a 3.0x but then just got tired of not being able to see what I wanted to see and upgraded to 5.5x. I have never regretted that decision. I have used these for every type of procedure I have ever done although I don't use them every time. I used them for prophies back in school, even.

The increased mag definitely limits your field of vision, but I haven't found that to be a handicap in the vast majority of cases. It just helps everything being able to see clearly. You can better adjust the angle of your bur, see overhangs, margins, etc. I think high mag is the only way to go and I eventually plan to get a microscope at least for endo, possibly more.

You guys using 4.5x+, do you feel like you can see stuff/work without your loupes still if found in a situation where you don't have them? One of my mentors (pediatric dentist) said he barely used his loupes and "once you working with loupes for long time and high mag, you can't go back"

Do you guys recommend 3.5x for loupes or 4.5x? A D1 recommended I start off with 3.5x while an international student dentist currently in D4 recommended 4.5x to start

3.5x. Most everything can be done with a 3.5x, even with endo. What's more important is the loupe light. You need a very strong loupe light to see everything. The advantage of 3.5 w/ expanded field is that you have more situational awareness and ability to see the bigger picture (hazards such as the tongue and cheek), bridge preps and the draw, implant angulations, etc... It's so easy to get caught up on intracoronal restorations, you gotta think of the big picture too. Also, most endo is tactile sensation and being able to read the pulpal floor map.

Reactions: 5 users
I started off with 3.5x expanded and lasted only a year before I realized it was too heavy for me.
Got a pair of 2.5x Galileans and thought they were fine.
Before graduating, I bought a pair of 3.5x galilean and I use that for everything now. At this point, I think it’s enough (FYI, I don’t place implants, but I do do endo).
I wouldn’t mind trying 4.5 and up, but pretty sure those only come in the expanded lenses (or else you’d get major tunnel vision) and I just can’t see myself using that daily because of how much pressure it puts on my nose.

I’ve worked with two other experienced dentists who also use 2.5-3.5x for everything, including endo and implant placement.

You guys using 4.5x+, do you feel like you can see stuff/work without your loupes still if found in a situation where you don't have them? One of my mentors (pediatric dentist) said he barely used his loupes and "once you working with loupes for long time and high mag, you can't go back"

Why would you want to go back?

And what’s the big difference between Galilean and Prismatic? Which do people usually prefer?

3.5x, 85% of my entire school uses 3.5x.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought 2.5x 2 years ago and heard the same things. "2.5x is a waste. Go as high as possible. Yada yada yada". Truth is, 2.5x is plenty for restorative. It's even too much when you start doing multiple unit fixed work. Too hard to see your overall path of insertion!!

I have the EyeZoom by orascoptic, and I love it. Having 3x, 4x, 5x is awesome, and I like to change it up when needed.

That said, I would have gone with a straight 3.5x had I not gotten this. Prismatic for expanded field.

Reactions: 3 users
I have the EyeZoom by orascoptic, and I love it. Having 3x, 4x, 5x is awesome, and I like to change it up when needed.

That said, I would have gone with a straight 3.5x had I not gotten this. Prismatic for expanded field.

Don't those loupes weigh like 5 pounds though? I saw them, but I thought they looked a little hefty.

How much were they??

How much were they??
Not cheap. I got them mounted on XV1 frames. Initial cost is 5k, student discount to 4k, refurbished frames down to 3k, and the HPSP helps cover up to $1400, so they only ran me $1600 total. Did some operative yesterday and it was wonderful.

Don't those loupes weigh like 5 pounds though? I saw them, but I thought they looked a little hefty.
Having the XV1 frames, it actually balances great( battery in back). Doesn't bother my ears or nose like my last pair did, and those were only 2.5x.

And what’s the big difference between Galilean and Prismatic? Which do people usually prefer?

Prismatic has an expanded view. 4.5 prismatic can see more teeth than Galilean.

I bought 2.5x 2 years ago and heard the same things. "2.5x is a waste. Go as high as possible. Yada yada yada". Truth is, 2.5x is plenty for restorative. It's even too much when you start doing multiple unit fixed work. Too hard to see your overall path of insertion!!

How so? I still see to the midline with 4.5x

Prismatic has an expanded view. 4.5 prismatic can see more teeth than Galilean.

How so? I still see to the midline with 4.5x
With my 2.5x I could see multiple teeth in my FOV, but the zoom makes it really hard to focus on multiple teeth at once. Even w/ 2.5x. I can't imagine 4.5x.
I couldn't justify spending on prismatic. That's a lot of loan money for something I didn't need. 2.5x galilean is plenty!
Also, I'm curious, how much is depth perception affected with prismatic? Something to try out when you try out loupes.

Last edited:
With my 2.5x I could see multiple teeth in my FOV, but the zoom makes it really hard to focus on multiple teeth at once. Even w/ 2.5x. I can't imagine 4.5x.
I couldn't justify spending on prismatic. That's a lot of loan money for something I didn't need. 2.5x galilean is plenty!
Also, I'm curious, how much is depth perception affected with prismatic? Something to try out when you try out loupes.
So when I look it up online most websites say Galilean has a greater expanded field while prismatic is clearer. Why do people on SDN basically all say go with prismatic?

So when I look it up online most websites say Galilean has a greater expanded field while prismatic is clearer. Why do people on SDN basically all say go with prismatic?
I was under the impression that w/ galilean lenses, the higher the mag, the lower the field of view. To offset the lower field of view w/ higher mag, you can use prismatic lenses. Prismatic lenses increase the field of view; however, they decrease your depth of perception.

Wouldn’t Galilean be the optimal loupe then? I imagine that depth of perception is more important.

Wouldn’t Galilean be the optimal loupe then? I imagine that depth of perception is more important.
less light also comes through the higher the mag gets, the prismatics widening the field also lets more light in. Same reason you can buy compact binoculars at the same mag as the ones with the big wide lenses, the big ones are clearer and brighter cause they let way more light in with a larger diameter lens. Galilean lenses at higher mags would be pretty dark to look through even with a light.

I definitely still have depth perception on 5x on the eyezooms too. I think what the previous poster is saying is that the depth of focus range is smaller, meaning that if you lean back or in too much, the image gets out of focus. Practically, that's never been much of an issue for me, in fact it helps you keep your back straighter to stay in the "sweet spot".

I use 2.5x for exams & OS. 3.5x for everything else. I think 3.5 is more than enough for me for now. But I know several people I went to school with jumped right to 4.5 after graduation and are happy. Contact a rep and try the different mags out for yourself and see what's most comfortable for you

I use 2.5x for exams & OS. 3.5x for everything else. I think 3.5 is more than enough for me for now. But I know several people I went to school with jumped right to 4.5 after graduation and are happy. Contact a rep and try the different mags out for yourself and see what's most comfortable for you
So would you say 2.5x Galilean would be good enough for most things?

If you want "good enough," then go for it. I'm tellin' ya, higher mag doesn't have the major drawbacks that people say. I've done plenty of crowns and bridges with 5.5x and have been able to see path of insertion just fine. The benefits of being able to see your work in detail majorly outweighs the negatives. Without our eyes, our hand skills are pretty much useless. Why not give yourself the best "powerup" that you can?

If you want "good enough," then go for it. I'm tellin' ya, higher mag doesn't have the major drawbacks that people say. I've done plenty of crowns and bridges with 5.5x and have been able to see path of insertion just fine. The benefits of being able to see your work in detail majorly outweighs the negatives. Without our eyes, our hand skills are pretty much useless. Why not give yourself the best "powerup" that you can?
Agreed.

Also, if you're going to get 2.5x, buy dental hygiene loupes. They're also 2.5x. but a lot cheaper (and there's really not much of a difference; they just charge dental students more). I think you'd say a few hundred bucks.

For me, 2.5x for exams and OS is perfect. For restorative, I used 2.5x while in school and upgraded to 3.5x right before graduation. I definitely noticed that my preps improved with the 3.5x so if you're just looking for one pair, I would say go with at least 3.5x, especially if you'll be doing endo

Late to the thread but I bought 3.5x prismatic Q-Optics first year and found this was plenty sufficient for operative, crown and bridge, and most anything you do as a general dentist. I wear glasses and a headlamp for OS. Just bought 4.5x prismatic Q-Optics since I’m going into perio and it’s still sufficient for everything general dentistry but provides a good view for quadrant dentistry and 1-2 tooth sites which is all I’ll care about in the future anyway. Anything bigger than 4.5x is overkill since microscope use is so commonplace nowadays.

What did you end up getting?

I got 3.5x Univet or whatever they call them, they had the clearest view.

10x and want more......can never see those margins clear enough

• Haha
Tried out q optics 4.5 prisms the other day and wow they're nice. Might bite the bullet and get them even though they cost $1940. Now I gotta decide if I want to get a lumadent wireless or wired light

Tried out q optics 4.5 prisms the other day and wow they're nice. Might bite the bullet and get them even though they cost $1940. Now I gotta decide if I want to get a lumadent wireless or wired light
If you're going big, go big and get the wireless light. You'll be happy you did it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you're going big, go big and get the wireless light. You'll be happy you did it.
Yeah that's the direction I'm leaning. I'm constantly reading on dentaltown how wire management can be a big nuisance day in and day out. Kinda worried about how the extra 20g of weight will feel on my nose but I'll know for sure at the loupe fair this week

Yeah that's the direction I'm leaning. I'm constantly reading on dentaltown how wire management can be a big nuisance day in and day out. Kinda worried about how the extra 20g of weight will feel on my nose but I'll know for sure at the loupe fair this week
Yeah. Plus, it's different in private practice where you're jumping between patients, only wearing the loupes for procedures so you get a break. Rarely will you have them on for longer than 30 min at a time, unlike dental school. I feel like the extra weight trade off is worth it, but may be bothersome in school if ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I got Q-optics 4.0x. It feels like a nice in between

How do you like your Q-optics 4.0x?

I am thinking about Q-Optics as well. I am debating between Prismatic Loupes with power 3.5x (8-10 cm field of view) and 4.0x (7-8 cm field of view).
Any comments or suggestions?

It’s a very good choice. I hear nothing but good things from people with the 4.0 model.

Look into ultra light optics - they are legit

How do you like your Q-optics 4.0x?

I am thinking about Q-Optics as well. I am debating between Prismatic Loupes with power 3.5x (8-10 cm field of view) and 4.0x (7-8 cm field of view).
Any comments or suggestions?

A couple of my classmates returned their other brand loupes and got Q-optics 4.0x after they saw mine.
I didn't want a lot of stress on my neck so I was looking for the lightest loupes but that can still deliver a good field of view and magnification. I tried out pretty much all the major companies and Q-optics was the lightest for me and offered a good in between 3.5x and 4.0x with the opportunity to upgrade. I also wear prescription glasses and not contacts and Q-optics prescription clip on is nice and easy to switch out if I ever go to contacts or lasik. I honestly so far have not seen much different with 3.5x and 4.0x. I can see the whole arch with the 4.0x

Look into ultra light optics - they are legit
Are you saying that I can get a different brand for light (compared to Q-optics loupes)? Would they be compatible together (knobs that fit)?
I found this website for ultra light optics Feather Light LED - Ultra Light Optics
Do you know a price by chance?

Thank you for all the responses!

Are you saying that I can get a different brand for light (compared to Q-optics loupes)? Would they be compatible together (knobs that fit)?
I found this website for ultra light optics Feather Light LED - Ultra Light Optics

I’m just going to comment on the light part: Yes, you can buy the loupes from Q-optic and buy a different company light. The company that sells you the light will ask which loupes you have and give you a knob that fits. I have q-optics loupes but I got LumaDent light. If I find the ultra light booklet with the prices I’ll let you know

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah it is cheap. I think they run you $1500 for the light and loupes maybe less.

I have Q-optics 3.5x non-prismatic, coupled with LumaDent light. Pretty good for dental school. Maybe I will upgrade to 4.5x when I graduate.