Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhcoog92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm at the point in my dental school career where I need to buy some loupes. I was wondering if you guys had any personal experience with either Surgitel or Designs for Vision as those are the two that I am leaning towards. I am a pretty tall guy, so I was thinking of going with a 3.5X and expanded field hopefully.
What are y'alls thoughts on the frames (Oakley vs. Nike)? I don't care about the cost difference as I just want to be happy with whatever I purchase.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the Designs for Vision expanded field, no complaints except they are a bit heavy with large telescopes (and metal frame). If I remember correctly, the 3.5x and the 4.5x are the same price so I would take a look at both.

Make sure you figure out your proper working distance so they can get it right the first time. I had to have it adjusted because it was too long initially so I had to sit way too far back and upright to the point where it was uncomfortable.

I have Surgitel 2.5x with the oakley frame and they are great. I don't think your height should affect the magnification as long as the working distance is correct. I am 6'4 and don't have that problem

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the DFV 3.5EF, I think you HAVE to go with the Yeoman frames, but I might be wrong. Those lenses are HEAVY. It's why I ultimately returned mine--I'm a pretty small person, and they kept sliding down and hurting my head.

I have DFV 3.5 on the Nike frames. I like them and really love the light.

I don't know if I'm experiencing grass is greener syndrome, but my friend has Orascopic loupes and hers seem so clear! Also, check out surgitels newest light. It turns on and off with hand motion, super cool. I thought about getting it, but the rep made it seem like it would be difficult to buy one brands light and another's loupes. I wasn't too impressed with surgitels loupes, so I didn't end up with the light.

I'm a dfv 2.5x kinda guy Nike frames.

I use Zeiss EyeMag Pro 3.5 with a Lumadent light in a Nike frame. A combination you may want to try.

I bought both Orascoptic through-the-lens 2.5x's in school with the light and later the 3.8's through the lens. Both are great. I bought the same brand each time so I could switch the light between them. However, I work in two practices. Transporting them each day was a nuisance. One day my wife went to work not realizing that my loupes were in the car. I looked for a solution. Ebay had some loupes with LED light for about $50 with no tax and no shipping fee (Sic.).

I bought them. After 7 weeks (!) they arrived. After a few minutes to adjust the flip-down design they work great and the light was superb. For 3 months I always bought my Orascoptics with me, but it occurred to me that I have no preference; they are interchangeable to me.

To be clear, my $50 3.5x loupes from Ebay are as clear, comfortable and useful as my combined $2500 2.5x and 3.8x Orascoptic loupes. I have no stake in either company. For about 2% the cost of my Orascoptics, I've got a comparable pair. The Li-ion battery charges quickly and lasts for days of care-free use.
There were only two problems with them: There was there was no cable guide on the frame for the light (two tiny zip-ties addressed this concern neatly) and they require minor adjustment if I knock them (a problem with ANY flip-down design).

Questions:
Q 1) What if they break?
A 1) Who cares, they were $50.

Q 2) Is there a warranty?
A 2) I doubt it. For the cost of a new nose-piece on my Orascoptics, I can get a new set of loupes and light.

So, yes, I highly recommend them as a spare, or a day-to-day set. Also, mine look great in an attractive silver/white color scheme.

Sincerely,

PD.

I would get some Zeiss 3.5x from henry schein

Get the most magnification you can afford. Ignore the salespeople that tell ou to start out with 2.5...don't go lower than 4.5

for all you guys in school, I would recommend that you guys buy a backup pair. I wanted to buy a new pair of the loupes, and the surgitel rep wanted at least $1500. wish i bought a 2nd pair!! also check into lumadent for lights. ive had ultra light for a couple of years and they just break down.

I would recommend checking out the new Orascoptic Eyezoom loupes which has 3 step magnification (3,4,5x) I used to alternate between my 4.3 Orascoptic and 6.0 DFV loupes depending on what I was doing, but now the Eyezoom is my go to loupes. The bay area orascoptic rep had told me he sold 4o pairs of these loupes to the UOP first years this past year.

I have a pair of Zeiss loupes for sale - never been used.

Carl Zeiss EyeMag Pro F Surgical Loupes

Titanium Frame
Working Distance: 400mm (16 inches)
Magnification: 3.5x
Field of View: 86mm
Comes with Small Black Softshell Case.

Asking price: 1200 USD

I use Zeiss EyeMag Pro 3.5 with a Lumadent light in a Nike frame. A combination you may want to try.
How did you mount the Zeiss telescopes on a Nike frames? I Thought those telescopes only fit on Zeiss frames.