loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldm0208

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to buy a pair of loupes.
But there are too many choices.
Orascoptic, designs for vision, surgitel, q-optics, etc..
I think i'm leaning toward Q-optics the new frame "Eclipse-Ti".
Anyone has an experience with this?
The student price they offer to us is $895, and I thought it was a pretty nice deal comparing to other major companies like I mentioned above. And magnification from 2.5x to 3.5x have the same price which makes me want to get 3.0x. Would 3.0x give people like me who has not have any experience with loupes too small field of view?

Any comments, opinions, or suggestions about any companies will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The student price they offer to us is $895, and I thought it was a pretty nice deal comparing to other major companies like I mentioned above. And magnification from 2.5x to 3.5x have the same price which makes me want to get 3.0x. Would 3.0x give people like me who has not have any experience with loupes too small field of view?

Any comments, opinions, or suggestions about any companies will be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact pair of loupes you are thinking of getting, the Q optics Titanium frames TTL with HD lenses (through the lens, as opposed to flip ups). About 20 other people in my class have them as well. I absolutely love them. They fit great, have good clarity and depth of field, and look good at the same time. They are also light. I would recommend them. Everyone else in my class also has good thoughts on them.

I looked at every other manufacturer and just found that these frames felt the best, were light enough, and seemed very durable (I was not spending $1000 on plastic frames...). The rep was kind enough to come down and take our measurements (and he should have been!) so my fit was great.

As far as mag, I got 2.5, but 3 really would not be a problem. I almost wish I would have got 3, but 2.5 is good as well. You will get used to them easily.

PM me if you have more questions.

I have the 3.0x from surgitel...I had 2.5 from orascoptic but they messed up my prescription too many times so I called it quits and went with surgitel. I have the oakley frame which is really lightweight. As far as the magnification goes, there is a learning curve regardless of the magnification you get. I like 3.0 a lot more than 2.5 because my posture is a lot better. I've talked to a few upperclassmen who are actually upgrading to a 4 because magnificaiton helps a lot with endo.

A few of us in our class went in and got a group discount which made a big difference in price(~1100 for loupes + light for some of us). I recommend talking to the rep to see if you can get a group discount and then emailing your class to see who is interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
To further comment on this, you should really just go with the loupes that you like. I can sit here all day saying that I like this, and I like that, but you really have to try them on to get a good feel.

In the end, loupes are loupes, and I don't know but a few people who are actually unhappy with theirs. You won't go wrong with any brand, but I can tell you I like the Q optics very well. Good hunting.

I have the exact pair of loupes you are thinking of getting, the Q optics Titanium frames TTL with HD lenses (through the lens, as opposed to flip ups). About 20 other people in my class have them as well. I absolutely love them. They fit great, have good clarity and depth of field, and look good at the same time. They are also light. I would recommend them. Everyone else in my class also has good thoughts on them.

I looked at every other manufacturer and just found that these frames felt the best, were light enough, and seemed very durable (I was not spending $1000 on plastic frames...). The rep was kind enough to come down and take our measurements (and he should have been!) so my fit was great.

As far as mag, I got 2.5, but 3 really would not be a problem. I almost wish I would have got 3, but 2.5 is good as well. You will get used to them easily.

PM me if you have more questions.

yeah.. thank you so much!
they all came to our school, so I had chance to try them on.
recently Q-optics hosted a lunch&learn at our school and the reactions from the students at the session after the pt by David & Brent were like "why did you come to our school so late!!" bc most of them already bought their pairs.

Yes.. Q-optics Titanium frames(aks eclipse-ti not tifosi) TTL with HD lenses are so light, flexible, and tight. that's why I'm leaning toward it!

as far as mag, I guess then I have to forget about 2.5, and start thinking bw 3.0 and 3.5.

Hey Jay!
if you don't mind, could you please let me know the approximate field of view of 2.5? And if any of your classmates have 3.0 or 3.5 from Q-optics, do you mind asking them too?

Thank you again, you are awesome! :D

I have the 3.0x from surgitel...I had 2.5 from orascoptic but they messed up my prescription too many times so I called it quits and went with surgitel. I have the oakley frame which is really lightweight. As far as the magnification goes, there is a learning curve regardless of the magnification you get. I like 3.0 a lot more than 2.5 because my posture is a lot better. I've talked to a few upperclassmen who are actually upgrading to a 4 because magnificaiton helps a lot with endo.

A few of us in our class went in and got a group discount which made a big difference in price(~1100 for loupes + light for some of us). I recommend talking to the rep to see if you can get a group discount and then emailing your class to see who is interested.

several of my classmates told me the same thing about orascoptic. although they are happy with their loupes they said they'd never buy another pair from them bc of their customer service..

I actually really liked their customer service...they worked with me to try to get my prescription perfect but sending the loupes back and forth was getting annoying, not to mention the fact that I didn't get to use my loupes for the whole second semester of my first year because they were in transit most of the time. I got my money back without any problems and ordered surgitel the next day.

I also recommend trying the light. Its expensive but it helps me a lot.

I got Q-Optics and am very satisfied. Customer service is great, loupes are great. Same as orascoptics without the roughly $100 shipping fee. Mine are through-the-lens and cost $800. I went to the GNYDM this year and came across a great loupe company, names Rose Microsystems. They had practically the same loupes as Q-optics and orascoptics for a few hundred less. I wish I had waited and bought theirs. I'd say google them and see if u can get yourself some.

Although I got used to through-the-lens, I would have preferred flip-ups, for easy vision transfer from mouth to tray, etc.

yeah.. thank you so much!
they all came to our school, so I had chance to try them on.
recently Q-optics hosted a lunch&learn at our school and the reactions from the students at the session after the pt by David & Brent were like "why did you come to our school so late!!" bc most of them already bought their pairs.

Yes.. Q-optics Titanium frames(aks eclipse-ti not tifosi) TTL with HD lenses are so light, flexible, and tight. that's why I'm leaning toward it!

as far as mag, I guess then I have to forget about 2.5, and start thinking bw 3.0 and 3.5.

Hey Jay!
if you don't mind, could you please let me know the approximate field of view of 2.5? And if any of your classmates have 3.0 or 3.5 from Q-optics, do you mind asking them too?

Thank you again, you are awesome! :D

Field of view....er....I don't really know. With the 2.5 I feel like the FOV is fairly large, at least large enough for sure. I can see about 4 teeth, which is good for me. I think you will be satisfied with 3.0 because honestly, you just don't need to get a millimeter's view of the tooth. You should be be fine and able to do everything with 2.5, and 3.0 will just give you a little more zoom. Any more than that (over 3.5) and you will probably struggle with moving things in and out of the mouth, and you will most likely not want to do injections with them. I know that with 2.5 injections should still be easily doable. 3.0, prolly, 3.5 plus....IDK.

several of my classmates told me the same thing about orascoptic. although they are happy with their loupes they said they'd never buy another pair from them bc of their customer service..

Yeah, it probably depends more on the regional rep more so than the company as a whole.

The thing I did like about Q optics was that they were a little newer and smaller, probably more likely to want to please the customer. Plus, they were cheaper than some of the big names.

Field of view....er....I don't really know. With the 2.5 I feel like the FOV is fairly large, at least large enough for sure. I can see about 4 teeth, which is good for me. I think you will be satisfied with 3.0 because honestly, you just don't need to get a millimeter's view of the tooth. You should be be fine and able to do everything with 2.5, and 3.0 will just give you a little more zoom. Any more than that (over 3.5) and you will probably struggle with moving things in and out of the mouth, and you will most likely not want to do injections with them. I know that with 2.5 injections should still be easily doable. 3.0, prolly, 3.5 plus....IDK.

Hey Jay!
When you said the HD lenses, did you mean the "25% greater resolution "? The F2.5? not the M2.5

The thing is now I want to buy 3.0x or 3.5x with 25% greater resolution, and i'm looking at their order form, it seems like they only have F series for 2.5x.

well..i'm emailing him now to bug him more..
if you know about this you can let me know too. thanks!
I'm assuming at least some of your about 20 classmates bought 3.0x or higher mag from Qoptics.

Regards,

Hey Jay!
When you said the HD lenses, did you mean the "25% greater resolution "? The F2.5? not the M2.5

The thing is now I want to buy 3.0x or 3.5x with 25% greater resolution, and i'm looking at their order form, it seems like they only have F series for 2.5x.

well..i'm emailing him now to bug him more..
if you know about this you can let me know too. thanks!
I'm assuming at least some of your about 20 classmates bought 3.0x or higher mag from Qoptics.

Regards,
I don't know what the order code is, but I believe they are termed HD lenses. They normally cost more but I think they have the same price for students.

As far as my other classmates, I actually think all of them got 2.5 as well, but that was because they were running a student special on the 2.5s when we got them. But I really couldn't see you being unhappy with 3.0 if you wanted to get them. Try a flip up pair adjusted to your eyes with both (b/c you can manually adjust FU to make the vision clear, unlike custom TTL loupes) and see how you feel. There shouldn't be that much of a difference.

25% high resolution is only available for 2.5x...darn...

plus,
Heine came to us today, looked fabulous even if they are all flip-ups..
Actually they made me start consedering of Flip-ups bc I don't think I would enjoy switching loupes to glasses to loupes and to glasses on and on while I see pts. Stupid screwed my eyes.. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
25% high resolution is only available for 2.5x...darn...

plus,
Heine came to us today, looked fabulous even if they are all flip-ups..
Actually they made me start consedering of Flip-ups bc I don't think I would enjoy switching loupes to glasses to loupes and to glasses on and on while I see pts. Stupid screwed my eyes.. :smuggrin:
prescription lenses can be put into loupes to avoid this problem.

prescription lenses can be put into loupes to avoid this problem.

oh yeah.. i know. i def need to get prescription lenses.
but still with through the lens(TTL) on you, when you are not in the procedure and want to see something that's out of the depth of view, the loupes are on the way of your sight. On the other hands with flip-ups, you can just easily flip the loupes up, then nothing would bother your sight throught your prescription lenses.

maybe i'm thinking too much..:laugh:

Jay!

Does any of your classmates bought the led light from Q-optics?
Do you have any comments on it for me?

I'm debating between their light(RADSYS0) and Feather-light from ultrallight. I really light Feather-light bc it's sooooo small and light(only .13oz!!) Although it's only about 3600 foot candles.. I think it should be enough.

Anyone has an experience with Q-optics' 5000 foot candles or feather light? Thank you!!

Jay!

Does any of your classmates bought the led light from Q-optics?
Do you have any comments on it for me?

I'm debating between their light(RADSYS0) and Feather-light from ultrallight. I really light Feather-light bc it's sooooo small and light(only .13oz!!) Although it's only about 3600 foot candles.. I think it should be enough.

Anyone has an experience with Q-optics' 5000 foot candles or feather light? Thank you!!

I have the RADSYS0 and 2.5x loupes. I usually keep my light at about 50%, so the Feather Light would be okay for me right now. The higher mag loupes require more light, though, so if I switch to 4.0x or higher for endo I may want more light. I wish I could've tried the Featherlight, but they don't come to my school and no one that I know has it.

Some of my classmates have the featherlight and I've seen their booth and talked with them about it.. It has two things going for it, lightweight, and small. But that's about it.

I compared my DFV Daylite with my friend's feather light, and the first thing you'll notice is the featherlight is colluminated very little. The light disperses to a much wider circle, probably a bit beyond almost any normal oral cavity.

No matter how many times you hear their rep say "Well we had an optometrist tell us that 3600 foot candles is optimal." While that may apply (haven't seen their studies) for 2.5x, that doesn't apply if you up the mag. Not to mention, how many times have you ever wanted LESS LIGHT while working? I even asked them about the adjustability of other lights down a level that matches theirs. And they could only say, "I guess you could turn down their light."

The next issue they'll bring up is heat. Any of these lights are going to get hot at full output, and considering how little the featherlight is driven, it's no wonder it doesn't get as hot. More amps = more light = more heat. Now if you turn the light down to feather light's level, then BAM! Less heat.

My last nitpick with the featherlight, their composite filter. It worked like a big POS. Even the rep could get it right. It's either loose and flops around like a cheap piece of plastic. Or it's too tight and moves no where.

I have the RADSYS0 and 2.5x loupes. I usually keep my light at about 50%, so the Feather Light would be okay for me right now. The higher mag loupes require more light, though, so if I switch to 4.0x or higher for endo I may want more light. I wish I could've tried the Featherlight, but they don't come to my school and no one that I know has it.

Hey! Thanks!
it says RADSYS0 has Precision Intensity Controls. Can you describe how it works for me? I think i'm leaning toward Q-optics. They didn't come to our school neither, one of our classmates found out about it and she wanted to make a group order to get some discount.

Some of my classmates have the featherlight and I've seen their booth and talked with them about it.. It has two things going for it, lightweight, and small. But that's about it.

I compared my DFV Daylite with my friend's feather light, and the first thing you'll notice is the featherlight is colluminated very little. The light disperses to a much wider circle, probably a bit beyond almost any normal oral cavity.

No matter how many times you hear their rep say "Well we had an optometrist tell us that 3600 foot candles is optimal." While that may apply (haven't seen their studies) for 2.5x, that doesn't apply if you up the mag. Not to mention, how many times have you ever wanted LESS LIGHT while working? I even asked them about the adjustability of other lights down a level that matches theirs. And they could only say, "I guess you could turn down their light."

The next issue they'll bring up is heat. Any of these lights are going to get hot at full output, and considering how little the featherlight is driven, it's no wonder it doesn't get as hot. More amps = more light = more heat. Now if you turn the light down to feather light's level, then BAM! Less heat.

My last nitpick with the featherlight, their composite filter. It worked like a big POS. Even the rep could get it right. It's either loose and flops around like a cheap piece of plastic. Or it's too tight and moves no where.

I really appreciate your comments.
I think I'm ordering Q-optics flip-up M3.0x with RADSYS0 light. I don't think I would be satisfied if my light disperses wider than the pt's mouth. That's pretty important. Plus Q-optics giving me a nice student discount deal. And I can alway return it back if I don't like it. Thanks again!

Hey! Thanks!
it says RADSYS0 has Precision Intensity Controls. Can you describe how it works for me? I think i'm leaning toward Q-optics. They didn't come to our school neither, one of our classmates found out about it and she wanted to make a group order to get some discount.

I really appreciate your comments.
I think I'm ordering Q-optics flip-up M3.0x with RADSYS0 light. I don't think I would be satisfied if my light disperses wider than the pt's mouth. That's pretty important. Plus Q-optics giving me a nice student discount deal. And I can alway return it back if I don't like it. Thanks again!

You will be satisfied with their light. It is VERY bright (but adjustable of course). I'm going to make my own light this summer from Fry's because I didn't want to pay $400 for a light, but you can't get much better than the Q optics one (I think). All of my classmates love theirs.

You will be satisfied with their light. It is VERY bright (but adjustable of course). I'm going to make my own light this summer from Fry's because I didn't want to pay $400 for a light, but you can't get much better than the Q optics one (I think). All of my classmates love theirs.

i've thought about doing that too! well... i guess you are than adventurous than me lol.. let me know how it goes!!

How do you figure out: your intrapupilary distance and a good working distance?

Your pupillary distance/working length is measured by a rep during the ordering process. you can determine your working length by sitting with good posture, arms in front of you bent at 90 degrees and having someone measure the distance from your fingers to your eyes. I think it's a good idea to add an inch or 2 to your working length, as the reps tend to underestimate a length that will give you adequate posture. this has been my experience.

Hup