Love Neonatology, Scared of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading all of the responses concerning the length of research required for neonatology, I am a bit scared. I love the NICU but I don't necessarily want to do research instead of working in the unit. Is it possible to get around research in a neonatal fellowship??? As an attending can I just work in the NICU without having a permanent "research" obligation?

Members don't see this ad.

ladyj said:
After reading all of the responses concerning the length of research required for neonatology, I am a bit scared. I love the NICU but I don't necessarily want to do research instead of working in the unit. Is it possible to get around research in a neonatal fellowship??? As an attending can I just work in the NICU without having a permanent "research" obligation?

Neo fellowships (like virtually all pedi fellowships) require a research component for board eligibility. However, the overwhelming majority of fellows have little if no research background before they start so you will not be alone. The research can be clinical or basic sciences and you might find you like it! It can emcompass things like public health and nutrition :D. Most (not all...) fellows like their research months as they are a bit easier than the clinical months and are a chance to catch up on reading and conferences with (usually) less night call responsibilities.

Not doing any research is common in private practice and occurs in many academic settings as well.

Regards

OBP