Love Surgery & hate lifestyle vs Like Rads & like lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Radiologists (or Rads-to-be) out there who were ever in this dilemma?

I loved surgery (hands on, technical aspect) but hated the miserable residency and long hours/bad call schedule (even in most surgical subspecialities)

I like Rads a lot, less "exciting" but interesting in the sense that you can "see" the diagnosis that the other docs can't... there are new modalities are here now and more on the horizon (so the future seems bright)... and the hours seem to be better

i'm afraid if i let my heart lead me to surgery, i might get burned out soon and regret not taking the cushier "close 2nd" choice

Members don't see this ad.

I thought "love surgery + hate lifestyle" was most compatible with ENT, plastics, urology, and the like. Seems these fields have the satisfaction of surgery along with a reasonable schedule and a comfortable paycheck. Interventional radiology might be a consideration, but most IRs have a schedule similar to a general surgeon. Had you considered anesthesiology or critical care? There are plenty of procedures done by anesthesiologists in the OR and ICU, and they get to go home post-call. :) Did you apply in rads?

Cheers,
doepug

Jive Turkey:

Interesting point -

I've always been one attracted to Surgical subspecialties, but I have to agree with you that some of the other specialties are attractive, too, especially when you factor in the lifestyle issue. Like many other medical students, I find that I enjoy most of what medicine offers, and would enjoy practicing nearly any of the fields - However, the opportunity to take 8-12+ weeks of vacation once at the attending level (in Radiology) is very attractive and would allow plenty of time for family, travel, etc. -

Of course, one always hears the "I wouldn't want to be stuck in a dark room all day" argument, but having only seen Academic radiology, I'm don't think this is a realistic representation of what it is all about. Indeed, Radiologists are among the most satisfied physicians according to several reports (there use to be a physician satisfaction survery on FREIDA).

Interestingly, I have heard first hand of several surgical trainees in all fields, including the more sought after fields (like Ortho) who find that the field is more appealing in the "I want to be" stage vs. the "I've actually matched and am in residency" stage - who have subsequently switched residencies... Invariably the switch is to either Rads or Anesthesia. Makes you think...

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts in this matter, too.

Airborne

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into liking something you don't.

You should know that when one enters the "cushier" residency of radiology they are forced to do something surgery residents aren't ... actually open a book. A lot of them in fact.

Do this math:

(My time on call + My time reading) > (Surgery resident's time on call + Surgery resident's time reading)

:laugh: you have got to be kidding me..... the average rads resident putting more hours in than the average general surgical resident (even including miscellanous reading time and so forth)???

Do not get me wrong, you may be an extremely hard working individual particularly dedicated to the field you have chosen (and in fact you may put in more hours than the average general surgery resident) but I find it hard to believe that this is the case across the board for all radiology residents. (i.e. 100-120 hour weeks are still common in general surgery, and almost all general surgery residents do some kind of educational enrichment oustide of the hospital)

Originally posted by Rads Resident
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into liking something you don't.

You should know that when one enters the "cushier" residency of radiology they are forced to do something surgery residents aren't ... actually open a book. A lot of them in fact.

Do this math:

(My time on call + My time reading) > (Surgery resident's time on call + Surgery resident's time reading)

Put down the crack pipe. I have no idea how much rads residents read, so I'll take your word that your week is that long... You might be a slow reader after all.

But surgery residents who do not "open a book"? LMFAO. Get a clue.

Originally posted by Celiac Plexus:
Put down the crack pipe. I have no idea how much rads residents read, so I'll take your word that your week is that long... You might be a slow reader after all.
But surgery residents who do not "open a book"? LMFAO. Get a clue.

What a useful post, especially in light of the one just before it. I think Rads Resident did not mean for his comment to be taken literally, but you showed him all right!

"I wouldn't want to be stuck in a dark room all day"

Some of the best things we do in life is in dimly lit rooms. The best meals I've ever eaten and the best movies I've ever watched were in dimly lit rooms.

And it seems like there's something else I'm forgetting...

Originally posted by Rads Resident
"I wouldn't want to be stuck in a dark room all day"

Some of the best things we do in life is in dimly lit rooms. The best meals I've ever eaten and the best movies I've ever watched were in dimly lit rooms.

And it seems like there's something else I'm forgetting...

Masturbating?

Reactions: 1 user
Celiac, I'm not going to have a battle of the wits with an unarmed man.

Has anyone applied to rads as a backup for primary love for plastics or other surgical subspecialty?

By the way, although I like surgery, I do not avoid reading. In fact, I lament that surgery is not more education oriented.

Also, is there no hope for solo practice in radiology?
It seems that there should be a place for radiologists who would be willing to take less money and less vacation time and work at a more reasonable pace on a daily basis.

Actually working as the solo guy you are on 24/7 usually these days.

A better option would be to work in an outpatient imaging center. It is possible to work ~8am-5pm 5 days a week without call and no weekends. However, you will be salaried most likely and make significantly less money. It's all about the choices you are willing to make.