Low CBSE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrinGuru

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a straight A student but I scored a 57 on the CBSE which is about a 65 now with the conversion table. Applications are coming up, so I wanted advice on if it is worth applying or if there are there any schools would be more accepting of lower cbse scores. I plan on retaking in Feburary anyway just in case I don't match, but I would prefer to be accepted into a program rather than have to do a non-categorical internship.

Or phrased a different way, are there any programs I should not apply to because they wouldn't even consider me?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no where to applying for residency, but apply. I was always told to let them tell you no. If it doesn't work out, try again next cycle if you want. But, definitely try this cycle

I'm no where to applying for residency, but apply. I was always told to let them tell you no. If it doesn't work out, try again next cycle if you want. But, definitely try this cycle

Easy to say, but remember that the applications can cost $5000+

Reactions: 2 users
Apply to as many programs as you can afford and hope for the best

The past 2 years we’ve only interviewed 1 person with a score <70 and we didn’t end up ranking them. It will be very challenging to match with your score. Whether you apply or not is ultimately up to you, but if you are serious about OMFS you should be preparing to take it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to as many programs as you can afford and hope for the best

This is a general question, but is it likely that people match to places they didn’t extern at? Seriously though, what are the chances that you match somewhere by sending out applications to every program?

All scores were supposedly converted to the old scale for us residents to better interpret them as we are mostly unfamiliar with the new system

This is a general question, but is it likely that people match to places they didn’t extern at? Seriously though, what are the chances that you match somewhere by sending out applications to every program?
Externing somewhere improves your chances of an interview at that program, but programs still offer interviews to many applicants who didn’t extern there. And on interview day everyone is more or less on equal footing.

Reactions: 1 users
Of people Case externs, maybe 1 or 2 were great and it will probably gain them an interview. 95% come and go and they’re good, but whether they get an interview will come down to what our PD thinks of their application. A handful are just bad, and they disqualify themselves from an interview.

So in summary, I don’t think externing has much of an effect for 95% of people. It’s just a week for you to explore the speciality and learn. Don’t look too much into them.

Of our current PGY1s and 2s, I think only two ever externed with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Of people Case externs, maybe 1 or 2 were great and it will probably gain them an interview. 95% come and go and they’re good, but whether they get an interview will come down to what our PD thinks of their application. A handful are just bad, and they disqualify themselves from an interview.

So in summary, I don’t think externing has much of an effect for 95% of people. It’s just a week for you to explore the speciality and learn. Don’t look too much into them.

I thought this number would be a lot higher and that externing had a much greater impact on matching, so this is interesting to hear.

short of externing at a program, whats the most acceptable way to get information on a programs volume, culture, call set up, etc. for a program that I have no connection to and no recent program update from n that one thread? Cold calling/emailing residents? Just apply and if I get an interview gather info at the interview day?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A little off topic, but would only externing at 6 year programs potentially hurt chances with 4 year programs? Preference is for 6 year, but open to both

I thought this number would be a lot higher and that externing had a much greater impact on matching, so this is interesting to hear.

short of externing at a program, whats the most acceptable way to get information on a programs volume, culture, call set up, etc. for a program that I have no connection to and no recent program update from n that one thread? Cold calling/emailing residents? Just apply and if I get an interview gather info at the interview day?
Conversely, at my program probably 50-75% of current residents had externed here so it really is program dependent.

A little off topic, but would only externing at 6 year programs potentially hurt chances with 4 year programs? Preference is for 6 year, but open to both

At least at my program you would definitely be asked why you are applying for a 4 year when you only extended at 6 yr programs. If you have nothing to prove you are also interested in 4 year programs and everything else points to 6 year programs this will definitely be noticed.

At least at my program you would definitely be asked why you are applying for a 4 year when you only extended at 6 yr programs. If you have nothing to prove you are also interested in 4 year programs and everything else points to 6 year programs this will definitely be noticed.
Would it be acceptable to just say I have a preference for one or the other but my biggest concern is becoming a competent surgeon? Maybe also including other factors like program scope of practice, culture, etc?

Could you go into more detail about what made those externs bad? Certain characteristics/qualities or things they did?

Would it be acceptable to just say I have a preference for one or the other but my biggest concern is becoming a competent surgeon? Maybe also including other factors like program scope of practice, culture, etc?

You can. And you should peruse the programs you really want to go to. But if everything on your applications, including externships, points to 6 year programs, it may come off as simple back up plans for 4 year programs. Every program will take this differently, at least at my program we tend to take these applicants less seriously as we assume they are less serious about our program.

Could you go into more detail about what made those externs bad? Certain characteristics/qualities or things they did?

Being a good extern is likely easier than you think. I think dental students make the error of thinking they should be impressing programs with their knowledge or skills or whatever. But we know you don’t know much about this stuff, and your skill isn’t amazing yet, we don’t really care about that.

A good extern has a great attitude, willingness to help, willingness to forgoe some sleep for the week, and an effort be show interest in the programs and OMFS in general.

For example: not knowing an answer to a pimping question won’t hurt you. But showing up late in the morning will.

Reactions: 2 users

You can cold call me anytime. Ask current residents there, ask people who have externed there, ask people who interviewed the year before.

Some possibilities
1) Too cocky. You need to earn your cockiness. We want people to start humble.
2) Too uptight. Relax a bit. We’re chill here.
3) We kept wondering “Where is the extern right now?”
4) being late

No. Say you were just externing at programs you heard good things about. Most people are applying to both types. You don’t need to hide it.

It’s insane why is it like this
Medical MATCH was talking about a sliding scale, where each additional application would cost more and more. That’s probably a good idea for our field. Because nowadays, everyone is applying everywhere each cycle which benefits a small few all stars and makes it hard for everyone else.