Low cGPA even though I have an upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kape2two

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a 5th year at a Top 5 university in California in the Fall.
My first 2 years were extremely rough, and I ended up with a 2.9 after 60 units. That GPA includes 1 F and 4 C's. Basically, I was extremely immature and did not know how to study.

Fast forward to today, I haven't had anything below a B+ since the start of my 3rd year. I have been taking allupper division science classes (genetics, bicohem, physiology, anatomy, etc) and been getting A's!! I just got my grades for Spring 2014, and I got all A's!! So, I have improved a lot because I study with friends now and way ahead of time.

My current cGPA is a 3.3 (not including SP 2014 grades). If I get mostly A's and a few B+ for my 5th year, I will end up with a 3.4, which is not a huge rise given that I had a 2.9 for 60 units.

Do medical schools also look at semester GPAs? A 3.4 might seem low as a cGPA, but I haven't gotten anything below a 3.6 since my 3rd year and I want them to see that.
Thank you for reading and any help/feedback you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades are listed in AMCAS by undergraduate year. They can see semester grades as well. Your upward trend is good - as with most people your MCAT will be very important. If you're worried about a low GPA you can retake those C's and F and apply to DO schools in addition to MD.

Once you have your MCAT score you can check your chances by looking at the AAMC site of GPA/MCAT acceptance rate, organized by race.

Don't forget about ECs.