Low GPA Addendum write or not write

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a post before about this and received some useful advice, but I'm still concerned. 1. does the school really care? 2. There isn't really an upward trend in my uGPA, will it leave a bad impression for finding excuses (or such) ?

This is what I have now, please provide any inputs if any. Thanks so much in advance!

Admission Committee,

I would like to provide an explanation for my low GPA.

During freshmen year when I left home for the first time in life, my family went through a tragic event (details can be provided if needed) Now that I became mature, independent and emotionally strong, I believe my undergraduate GPA does not fully represent my capabilities in further education. Please take this information into account when you evaluate my application. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

If there isn't an upward trend in your GPA how are you going to explain the other 3 years of poor GPA?

I meant that this event harmed my academics in general (more like 2-3 years) because I had to adjust emotions, unlike physical problems which heals after a few months. But it's kind of a stretch, and that is what I'm worried about...

Right now, I have a good SOP and good GRE, just worried about GPA, and seems like most people have low GPA put an addendum, so I was wondering if I should say something. Even not to mention a family event, should I say I am mature now and very serious about my education..etc?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Do not mention a lack of maturity. If the family event can be plausibly applied and explained, do so. But if you are worried it is a stretch then they will probably see through it.

What is important is that, whatever you do, your addendum shows that whatever caused your poor grades will not re-arise in grad school. This is typically shown in GPA addenda by pointing to a grade increase after the situation was resolved. It doesn't sound like you have that. Is there something else you can point to?

There is no upward trend because I took a lot of pass/no pass in my senior year because I had a almost full time job. But I do not want to mention that because that does not show that I will do well in grad school, because most likely I will be expected to have a side job too.

Not really anything else, I mean, my grades are not like a couple Ds and the rest are As, so...Plus, the addendum on SOPHAS is limited to 600 characters, so I can't go too detail anyway.
Should I just not put anything at all?

Thanks again!

How low are we talking? This may be my personal opinion, but I believe an addendum should only be reserved for very extreme circumstances and only if you have a way of proving (as in showing that you displayed an upward trend in your GPA following the event) that the issue is resolved and you will be able to succeed in graduate classes. If both of these cases are not met, it just looks like you are making an excuse. I am in no way saying your reason is not a good one as I do not know what it is, but unless you can show the ADCOMS that it is a good one and that you have improved, I feel that an addendum is a risky choice. If you do decide to use it, I would maybe take out the part about leaving home for the first time (as this is true to the majority of college freshman) and the part about maturity.

How low are we talking? This may be my personal opinion, but I believe an addendum should only be reserved for very extreme circumstances and only if you have a way of proving (as in showing that you displayed an upward trend in your GPA following the event) that the issue is resolved and you will be able to succeed in graduate classes. If both of these cases are not met, it just looks like you are making an excuse. I am in no way saying your reason is not a good one as I do not know what it is, but unless you can show the ADCOMS that it is a good one and that you have improved, I feel that an addendum is a risky choice. If you do decide to use it, I would maybe take out the part about leaving home for the first time (as this is true to the majority of college freshman) and the part about maturity.

I understand what you are saying. I may be give up on it anyway...they can decide on themselves...Thank you!