Low GPA canadian applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iv read a lot of posts from candian asking for others to "chance me"i my self being one. But i did the right thing and asked DENTAL SCHOOL ADMINS them selves and i would likee to share my learnings for all.....

I asked BU, NYU, CASE, UDM (major international "acceptor" schools)

All unanimously agreed that with a sub 3.0, even with a good DAT, they HIGHLY recommend to do a masters and show you can handle the dental curriculum.

BU responded to my email if GPA can alone null my chances to dental school and this is their response:
"We do a holistic review, and do take everything into consideration. We do not filter individuals out by grades, however, you are going to be amongst a large pool of highly competitive applicants for a limited number of seats."

They also said regarding their what seems like "easy acceptance" with this:
"Thank you for your interest in our program. While all programs are competitive perhaps it is seen as easier to get into Boston University as we have more seats than other schools to fill. We generally find that our competitive applicants will have around a 3.3 overall and science GPA and 18s or above on each section of the DAT. That being said, it would appear the part of your application that is lacking is your GPA. I would recommend to consider taking additional upper level science courses and possibly look into pursuing a Master’s degree program in the Biomedical sciences to help prepare you for the dental curriculum. Please contact us with any further questions." ( note the email i sent told themm my gpa was 2.70)

NYU said similarly:

"NYU's lower average GPA then other dental schools is not due to easy acceptance, rather due to, relatively, many seats. That being said a competitive GPA is a bit over 3.3, since we are a private school we dont have an quota for in state vs out of state, however we do expect international students to be more outstanding, in all aspects of an application, than a non international student (for example our international students who were accepted had higher GPAs than the average 3.3 of non-international students). I would recommend you look into a masters program at your local university in Canada.

Emil Chuck, from case western said in his respond to "what are my chances with a 2.7GPA..." very bluntly....
"It depends on why anyone would reasonably apply with a 2.7 GPA to our professional programs. So if you are unable to describe the circumstances anywhere else in your application more schools will likely reject your application outright.
If you are one of our outstanding postbaccalaureate applicants whose overall GPA gets calculated as a 2.7 in spite of completing a very competitive postbac program with a 4.0 over two years, then you have a better shot than a typical predental student who will finish up with a 2.7 undergraduate GPA. We are not interested in admitting students who will fail dental school."

UDM hasnt given me a solid answer, they only sent me past statistics of international student acceptance, and referred me to the ADEA hand book. Which showed international students had, almost always, above 3.3 GPA acceptance. Basically kindly telling me i had no chance.

Well, i hope this clears the water for most international students applying. Hope is not all lost, but it's damn low. Best of luck with your choices.

Good day,

Members don't see this ad.

thanks drbatman

that was quite informative, myself being international student as well.

If anyone has anything to add, by all means go ahead :)