LOW GPA...chances at CSU MA programs in clinical psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD Penguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a low GPA from UC Davis due to sticking with a pre-med program that viciously slashed what would have been a Philosophy degree GPA of 3.6 to a 2.6 (i.e. my major GPA is 3.6 but my overall is 2.6 because I didn't drop the pre-med throughout my entire 4 years of college...I was stubborn, young, and mostly - now that I think about it - stupid). It is haunting me, as it is not a good measure of my academic ability.

Not much I can do now. In the mean time I got my EMT/CPR certificate, have been doing clinical psychology research at two different labs for a few months now one at UC Berkeley and one at SFSU (plus 1 year of research I did for a psychiatrist at the Mind Institute) and working odd-jobs while I take a few classes at a community college to fill some prereqs that CSU Fullerton needs for their MA in Clinical Psych program. NOTE: I have never taken any Psych classes except Psych 1 at UC Davis (which I got a B+ in).

I'm scrambling now to apply to MA Programs in Clinical Psych with the hopes that I will be going to a PhD program in clinical psych in the mid-future. I love Psychotherapy, but I realize that in the future I want to teach and do research along with a private practice. That being said, I would like the MA degree I get to allow me to a.) be competitive for PhD Clinical Psych programs in the future and b.) allow me to use my degree to perform psychotherapy so I can be independent and move about the country (instead of being indebted with a terminal research MA that's just a piece of paper).

I realize that my GPA is horrendously low, but are there CSUs/UC/Public schools in California that will accept people with lower GPAs into their Clinical Psych programs with nearly zero classes given my extenuating circumstances? Would I have to move out of CA?

What should my path look like? I've been talking to many people in the field and I keep getting many different - often contradictory - answers. This is frightening, since the medical field is so straightforward in comparison.

I came here knowing you will all help with sound reasonable advice.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is apparently a very old post, but responses would help my current search tremendously as well. Any advice?

Very broadly, MA programs that prepare one for licensure/practice at the masters level are NOT the one that prepare a person to be competitive for Ph.D programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, good to know. How does one identify the best programs to prepare for a Ph.D?

Very broadly, MA programs that prepare one for licensure/practice at the masters level are NOT the one that prepare a person to be competitive for Ph.D programs.

Not all Clinical Psych M.A. programs will prepare one for licensure or practice at the master's level. In fact, the schools that the poster is inquiring about explicitly state that you CANNOT obtain licensure after completing the M.A. I am at one such program that the poster is inquiring about, and we are required to take several statistics and research methods courses and complete a thesis just like the experimental psychology M.A. folks. The only difference is in research interests and core courses (they take social psych, we take psychopathology, they take cognitive psychology, we take intellectual assessment, etc, etc). People from my Clinical Psych M.A. that I have known personally in the last two years have been accepted to doctoral programs at USC, Fordham, UC Santa Barbara, Texas Tech, etc. I know there are more that my program advertises, but I don't know them personally, so I don't want to speak to that.

Anyway, just clearing up the misconception that a clinical psych M.A. = terminal practice degree (like MFT, MSW, or LPCC).

To OP, if you're wondering how to determine if it's research-oriented enough for you, just read the graduate student handbook- where do former students get in? what are the goals of the program? is a thesis required? what are the required courses (make sure there are lots of research methods and stats classes required).

As far as your original question, you will be fine with that GPA since your GRE score is so high. MA programs know you have a deficit somewhere, whether it's no research, low GRE, or low GPA, and you are using them as a step up to the Ph.D. Just make your case.

Depending on where your clinical interests lie, you might be able to address this on your application. For instance, if you are looking at working with at risk youth, you might focus your application essay to address working with this population as a person who can relate, on some level, to at-risk youth since you were on the cusp of becoming one/were one. I'm taking great liberty here in assumptions that are only meant to serve as a hypothetical to give an idea of how you might be able to spin deficits as strengths. I'm not sure what your specific background is, but I think if you are upfront about it and can look at your past as a learning experience somehow, you will be able to get interviews. However, Ph.D programs are often very competitive. I, personally, completed one year of a M.A. and achieved a 3.9 GPA prior to applying for doctoral school because my BA GPA was on the low end. Like you, I wasn't as motivated when I was younger. I felt that completing my MA for one year with a high GPA would show admissions that I was serious and could do this. I applied to 2 Psy.D schools, and got accepted to both after completing my one year. Of course, I'm not sure what made them consider me, but I do think this was helpful.