Low GPA, High MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cameron

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a good MCAT score compensate for a lower GPA? My August MCAT scores were: V11, P12, B13, WS:R
My science GPA is only 3.25 (ouch). However, my science GPA for the last year or so is above 3.5. I only have a couple semesters left and likely won't be able to boost that science GPA up a whole lot more.
My hope is that my MCAT scores will at least get me some interviews despite my poor GPA. Any thoughts?

- Cameron

ps - I'll be applying next summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA isn't that bad. You're MCAT scores are very good. You should be fine. How's that for brevity?

Cameron,
You and I are alike -- our MCAT scores are almost the same -- I got a V11 P13 B12 WSR -- our GPA's are about the same -- science 3.25. The only difference is that I'm already in my third year of medical school. I believe that you're MCAT scores will definitely balance out your GPA as it did mine. However, there are other aspects to an application -- you can start focusing on gathering good letters of rec. your personal statemetn, and your extracurricular activities (i.e. research, vounteering, clinical duties, etc.) If these parts of your application are strong, then you should be a strong candidate for medical school. Hope this helps.

-James