Low GPA: need Post-Bac advices (or others)!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artfreakpdc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
So, I really need your advices on post-baccalaureate (or post-bac).
A little about myself: I'm a 4th year student at UC Davis. I will be graduating in June 2015, but my dental school dream is about to be shattered due to my tragically low GPA (which is 2.88). I studied really hard throughout my undergraduate (and believe me, I don't party or do dumb things), but the science classes are miserably difficult and competitive at my university, especially the upper division classes. I'm currently studying for my DAT exam, but I seriously have no idea what I can do to get myself up from this low GPA misery.
Aside from academics, I've been involved in a lot of extracurricular activities, including medical volunteering in India and Peru, dental internship/shadowing in dental offices for about 1.5 years, graphic arts director at my fellowship, and won a state art competition.

As of now, I'm planning to apply for post-bac after I finish my undergrad at UC Davis. However, what I'm really confused about is if there is a GPA requirement to even get into post-bac programs. I've been extremely worried about that part, since my GPA is, unsurprisingly, low. I'm aiming to attend San Francisco State University's post-bac program, but at this point, I'm trying to figure out what to do if I don't get into any of the post-bac programs. What are my options? I've also heard from other pre-dental students at my university that I can try to retake the classes at UC Davis as a extension student. Is that going to be helpful for my case? I prefer to take classes at 4-year university rather than at community colleges as well.

I really need your advice, since at this moment, I seriously don't know what to do if post-bac plan doesn't work out for me. I'm gambling my life in attending a dental school in the future, so this is a serious business for me.

Thank you guys. Hope to hear from you soon!

Members don't see this ad.