Medical Low GPA & no MCAT - How can I improve application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time posting in the confidential questions forum. I am mainly concerned about how to approach more confidently my next steps in not only improving my application but also truly better preparing myself for medical school.

Background & stats:
- I was a first time applicant this past (ongoing) 2021 cycle (only applied MD) but ultimately decided to withdraw from the secondaries stage since I was already getting various rejections due to my gpa not passing the dreaded 3.0 threshold. I received the 'automatic' secondaries from multiple schools as well, but decided it was worth taking a (yet another) step back to assess & address the really weak parts of my application.
- I am 23 years old currently, not considered 'underrepresented in medicine' (asian)
  • Undergraduate career: University of Utah (8/2015-12/2019)
    • Major: Biology BS
    • Minors: Chemistry, Political Science
    • cGPA based off transcript: 3.025 (145 credits earned)
      • retook 2 classes: Cell bio C- to a C (I know, I know) & Orgo II D to a B
      • multiple Cs, mostly in chem and a few Cs in bios
      • upwards trend during 3rd year to the '4.5'th year (made the Dean's list final semester)
    • cGPA from AMCAS: 2.95 (152 hours)
    • sGPA from AMCAS: 2.62 (AO: 3.67)
  • MCAT: began studying in January, originally planned to take in September but it has just been a very hectic cycle. Pushed back studying full-time and delaying my application. Getting back to study for it, hoping to take it in January or March 2021.
Plans: enrolled for a second bachelors as a means of doing a 'DIY postbac' to improve my transcript
  • Extracurricular activities: up-to-date
    • Clinical: 235 hours (volunteering at a free clinic)
      • had another clinical experience planned and was literally about to start it but canceled due to COVID pandemic
    • Non-clinical: 550 hours
      • volunteering a lot with underserved and refugee populations (a key passion I highlighted and want to focus on in my professional career as well)
      • 1 abroad* volunteer experience working in a refugee camp
    • Shadowing: 88 hours (84 pre-pandemic; 4 via ongoing virtual shadowing)
    • Paid work/Research-related:
      • Worked throughout highschool to my first 2 years of undergrad to help out family business (~3000 hours over ~5 years)
      • Undergraduate/individual research project in political science: 2.5 years (ongoing)
        • awarded funding for 2 semesters
        • 1 poster, 1 small undergrad publication, 1 conference presentation
        • working on a higher level publication...
      • Global health internship: 425 hours over 6 months
    • Campus involvement:
      • (170 hours over 2.5 years)- leadership: President of a student group (related to culture I come from)
      • (120 hours over 2 years) Model UN/EU group debate-travel team
  • Letters of Recommendation (6): dated 2018-2020
    • 1x science professor (aiming to get 2 more)
    • 1x research mentor/non-scienece prof
    • 1x supervisor (internship)
    • 1x boss from same place as^
    • 1x volunteer coordinator
    • 1x shadowed physician
Plans: originally wanted to get a small gig in the ER for clinical experience but that's hardly likely given even my shadowing was interrupted.
- Considering doing 'virtual' scribe experience or something similar...
- Trying to fine more opportunities to volunteer (virtually) in what I'm interested in: human rights, refugees, organizations that connect abroad in developing/war-torn countries. I've reached out to 2-3 that I've found so far but have yet to hear back from any (about 1-2 months now)
- ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS, HIGHLY APPRECIATED :)
*Tips on how to approach the next/future cycle? (e.g., schools list, how to address past weaknesses, etc.)
***Best case scenario is to apply next cycle for 2022 while doing these few things (mostly improving that undergrad gpa)
***Please let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything else or how else I can better discuss these with you all, THANK YOU in advance!!!
You applied with a 3.0 GPA and no MCAT? I can't sugar coat this, that was an exercise in futility.

Read this, and apply only when you have the post possible app.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, yes I applied with the mindset that I'd get my MCAT in by July. I applied in June when everything was still going as planned but my MCAT kept getting canceled and honestly my studying tanked with all that was going on at the time.
Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready for it. This is a high stakes, career deciding exam.

I am so confused. Why did you think it was a good idea to apply without an MCAT with such a low GPA? I am not trying to be condescending, but this is literally just throwing your money and time into the trash can. You do realize you are being compared against students with 4.0/515-520 scores right?

You are going to need to do a DIY-post bac (like you said) and ACE it. If you go through your post-bac and get a 3.0, you AREN'T going to medical school. You also need to do well on your MCAT (510+) to have a real chance. When you do get your scores up, I would throw a ton of DO schools into your application. Unless you absolutely blow your MCAT outta the water, I think DO will most likely be your best shot.

Good luck and keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Originally, I applied early on thinking I'd be able to get a high MCAT score in but things ended up not going as planned (not confident I'd be able to get a great score on an exam late September & since several COVID-19 changes/flexibilities were in place regarding the MCAT). So I withdrew because I knew that my gpa alone with no mcat wasn't worth betting on at a point in August. Sorry if it wasn't clear!
A high MCAT does not remediate a weak GPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.