low gpa, reapplicant, advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bewell24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a re-applicant this cycle, both MD and DO, and was hoping for some help with my list of schools. I have a low gpa, 3.0 for both sGPA and cGPA. My MCAT is 501, but I am retaking it in June, and am doing well on all my practice tests. I applied to about 20 MD and 20 DO schools last cycle, and received two interviews, one MD and one DO, and am currently on one wait list (the DO school). I have great EC as well as lots of experience working with under served populations. I've been on a mission trip and have 600+ hours of volunteer experience. I have vast clinical experience; was a hospital tech for 1 year and a scribe for 2+ years. I know that my gpa and MCAT are extreme weak spots in my application. Any advice on a list of schools for which I should apply to this year. Both MD and DO ( I don't want to give up on that MD just yet). I was accepted into a one year's masters program at KCU-COB, which I am planning on attending in August, and I can update the schools with my first semester GPA to show them I am capable of doing well academically.

Members don't see this ad.

Bewell24, have you tried the new LizzyM score tool (found at the home page of SDN)? It appears to be a rather useful and well-thought-out tool that takes your GPA and MCAT score and uses an algorithm to produce a list of schools (both DO and MD) statistically viable to you.

Congratulations on many already great achievements were someone with a hardened path like yours....receiving interviews, getting waitlisted, and the acceptance to the one year MP!

Bewell24, have you tried the new LizzyM score tool (found at the home page of SDN)? It appears to be a rather useful and well-thought-out tool that takes your GPA and MCAT score and uses an algorithm to produce a list of schools (both DO and MD) statistically viable to you.

Congratulations on many already great achievements were someone with a hardened path like yours....receiving interviews, getting waitlisted, and the acceptance to the one year MP!
Thanks for your response and advice! Yes I have checked out that tool, and used it, along with other resources of course, to create a list of schools. I was just seeing if anyone with a similar experience had any other advice or knowledge. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Concentrate on DO schools since your MCAT is acceptable for the majority of DO schools. Schools to include where your MCAT is near the median:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
all the new schools opening in 2017 (in Utah, Texas, Arkansas).

I am a re-applicant this cycle, both MD and DO, and was hoping for some help with my list of schools. I have a low gpa, 3.0 for both sGPA and cGPA. My MCAT is 501, but I am retaking it in June, and am doing well on all my practice tests. I applied to about 20 MD and 20 DO schools last cycle, and received two interviews, one MD and one DO, and am currently on one wait list (the DO school). I have great EC as well as lots of experience working with under served populations. I've been on a mission trip and have 600+ hours of volunteer experience. I have vast clinical experience; was a hospital tech for 1 year and a scribe for 2+ years. I know that my gpa and MCAT are extreme weak spots in my application. Any advice on a list of schools for which I should apply to this year. Both MD and DO ( I don't want to give up on that MD just yet). I was accepted into a one year's masters program at KCU-COB, which I am planning on attending in August, and I can update the schools with my first semester GPA to show them I am capable of doing well academically.
I'm a non-traditional student, meaning I'm 49 years old, so I'm going to suggest you do something that probably seems horrible and probably the worst thing in the world next to jumping into a live volcano. That suggestion is that you pursue a post-baccalaureate degree, or even just post-bac coursework. This is looked upon very favorably by adcoms and has become much more common as of late. I realize that at your age a few more years seems like forever, but if it's the difference between getting into medical school or not, trust me, it's worth it. Best of luck!

I'm a non-traditional student, meaning I'm 49 years old, so I'm going to suggest you do something that probably seems horrible and probably the worst thing in the world next to jumping into a live volcano. That suggestion is that you pursue a post-baccalaureate degree, or even just post-bac coursework. This is looked upon very favorably by adcoms and has become much more common as of late. I realize that at your age a few more years seems like forever, but if it's the difference between getting into medical school or not, trust me, it's worth it. Best of luck!
I am actually a non traditional student as well, 27. I have looked into this, and that it was made me land on a MBS , masters in biomedical science program. I have read many threads, and am debating whether this is the best choice or a formal/informal post bacc.

Reactions: 1 user
My apologies. I should have read your post all the way to its end. I would definitely complete that Master's work. And DO WELL in it. You'll get in. And I am with you in that I would rather do that and get an MD than settle and get a DO, and before I get lynched, I don't have any problem for those who want to become DO's, but if you want to become a MD, you will NEVER be satisfied as a DO, and that's a lot of work to do to still feel like you have the second best degree. If you do NOT feel that way towards DO's, then you do not have this problem. The End. I have no desire to debate MD vs DO.

Reactions: 1 users
I am actually a non traditional student as well, 27. I have looked into this, and that it was made me land on a MBS , masters in biomedical science program. I have read many threads, and am debating whether this is the best choice or a formal/informal post bacc.
It seems you have your answer. I have also been looking at some biomedical engineering programs, but that's not instead of an MD, it's along with an MD. I find that I am very drawn to research work, so I've been considering different MSTP's out there, but given my age, THAT does start to become an issue. We're getting into the realm of very possibly being 70 by the time I'm actually doing any real work as a Mud Phud.

One semester of good performance won't be enoufh. Applying to med school this cycle will merely mean you're making donations to the schools.

Ace the entire MS, and then apply. Med schools aren't going anywhere. In fact, by next year, several more will have opened their doors.

Reactions: 1 user
One semester of good performance won't be enoufh. Applying to med school this cycle will merely mean you're making donations to the schools.

Ace the entire MS, and then apply. Med schools aren't going anywhere. In fact, by next year, several more will have opened their doors.

Thank you for the advice! I am starting to think my best option is to reapply after I have finished the masters program.

I have just been accepted into:
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences -Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences degree program
Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences- Master of Biomedical Sciences degree program
From my understanding from the research I have done;
Kansas City has a guaranteed acceptance into KCU-COM if you maintain a 3.5 gpa.
Rutgers has a guaranteed interview at Rutgers if you maintain a 3.5 gpa.

Still waiting to hear back from: TCMC MBS

My ultimate goal is to get into medical school. I would strongly prefer MD, but I understand with my gpa I may have to do DO. Do you have any knowledge of either program? Does it matter which program I attend as long as I do well in it?

Don't know about the programs, but do fine in them and you'll find many doors will open. For MD schools, you'll need to ace MCAT as well.

Thank you for the advice! I am starting to think my best option is to reapply after I have finished the masters program.

I have just been accepted into:
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences -Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences degree program
Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences- Master of Biomedical Sciences degree program
From my understanding from the research I have done;
Kansas City has a guaranteed acceptance into KCU-COM if you maintain a 3.5 gpa.
Rutgers has a guaranteed interview at Rutgers if you maintain a 3.5 gpa.

Still waiting to hear back from: TCMC MBS

My ultimate goal is to get into medical school. I would strongly prefer MD, but I understand with my gpa I may have to do DO. Do you have any knowledge of either program? Does it matter which program I attend as long as I do well in it?

Don't know about the programs, but do fine in them and you'll find many doors will open. For MD schools, you'll need to ace MCAT as well.

Rutgers is associated with an MD school, and Kansas City is associated with a DO school. Going to Kansas City will not be looked down upon by MD schools?